[You have Scope of Scope-Tech to thank/blame for this ;)]
It's been over 3 years since my last post.
My life has completely changed since the last time I blogged.
Because...
I got pregnant...
with triplets.
Yep. I made three humans inside my body. They are almost three years old now. They're pretty cool, I guess I'll keep them around.
Here is some unsolicited parenting/life advice from the trenches, in no particular order:
When you bring your bundle of joy home, the hospital will send with you 7,000 pamphlets. 6,000 of them just say "Don't shake your baby" and you will snort derisively and say "I would never!" and then at 3am on the first or second night home, you will say "Oh." and you will understand why it has to be drilled into your brain.
Babies don't have an off switch. I mean, intellectually I knew this, but I've literally never had to deal with anything that needed so much and absolutely none of it can be put off or ignored. Don't feel like doing the dishes? Just rinse them and deal with it tomorrow. Can't be arsed shaving your legs? Wear long pants for a few days (or, you know, all winter). But when your child is screaming for a bottle or a diaper change or to be held at 3 in the morning (or 4 or 5 or 6), you have to take care of it right then and there, and no one else will do it for you. If you're very very lucky you may have a spouse or similar who will take on some of the responsibility, but it can never ever be put off 'til the morning.
Projectile shitting is a thing the human body is capable of.
The disabled toilet in the office bathroom has a lid you can sit on and a rail you can lean your head on, for those times when you realize you've just woken up from the third microsleep at your desk and maybe it'd be better if no one actually saw you sleeping.
Don't cloth diaper, if you can avoid it. It is hands-down the worst, most dehumanizing experience I have ever been through, to literally have someone else's shit all over my hands several times a day. Thank Christ two of ours are more or less potty trained, and we're working on the last one, but when all three were in diapers we had to go with cloth because of the sheer numbers we were working with, for financial reasons mainly.
If you become pregnant with more than one fetus at a time, people will feel extremely free to get all up in your business about it. Be aware that if you are asking someone if their children were conceived naturally, you are also asking them to disclose to you whether they have fertility issues. This is not a polite question to ask someone you just met.
You will feel guilt over basically everything you do or don't do as a parent. You may not think you are the kind of monster who would hiss into the ear of a 6-month-old baby "If you wake up your sisters, I will end you.", but after 6 months of not sleeping, you might be. Look, as long as you don't actually throw them out the window or intentionally drop them on their heads a bunch (you will do it unintentionally), you'll be fine.
numer darowizny: SRTF/067/SWD .
1 month ago
11 comments:
I'm glad that as far as I'm concerned, my child was birthed as a sweet, kind, 13 year girl. But her mother does have stories.
Great to hear that you are alive and well, if totally sleep deprived.
I was fortunate enough to do mine one at a time, but I sat here silently nodding with almost every point you brought up. Mostly, I ignored the one about the toilet: I came to a point where I didn't give an eff if anyone saw me dozing at my desk.
Which is probably why I had a summer-long vacation.
I saw the Dirty Jobs episode about cloth diapers pick up, washing and delivery. That was enough to make me not feel guilty over stuffing the landfills full of dirty diapers. Forever!!!!
Good luck!
Triplets!!! Oh my gosh! And congratulations!
I really enjoyed your post ... does it make me a bad person that I actually cackled at the image of you hissing 'I will end you' at a small child? I'm going to save this post, for when I'm feeling particularly broody, being held hostage by my hormones and in dire need of a reality check.
Great stuff :)
DUDE! THREE????? What the.... Do you not think one was a challenge enough? Good lord. Congrats though, that's a stunning revelation. So are all three, girls or did you get a little fella in there with the other two or what? If they're all girls are they identical? I have SO MANY QUESTIONS and I must know. Ha! HI!
Scope, I'm not convinced your way isn't smarter ;)
MJenks - right? and washing machines aren't really super eco-friendly anyway so unless you hand-launder...
Girl - I have spares if you need to road-test your parenting skills ;)
Veg - HI!!! <3 I have 2 girls and a boy, they are not identical in the least. one is blonde and fair and the other 2 are dark-haired and one of them has darker skin. I kind of got everything, which is great because I'm not doing that shit again ;)
Okay, so I had to go peek through your facebook pictures of your kiddos and, oh my goodness, they are ADORABLE! :-)
That being said, woo, you must be Wonder Woman. Three in one go. I remember the complete lack of sleep I had with just one. Times that by three and, well, you deserve one hell of a standing ovation for not murdering people left and right. Well done!
Congrats on the kids! Sorry about your sleepless nights, though.
I don't even have kids and I've taken naps in the bathroom stall.
Cora - I'd be lying if I said I hadn't come close to murder at times ;)
BeckEye - haha, see it's just good advice for life in general.
Wow! I'm impressed you even had the energy to write three years later!
Are you WonderWoman? I can't even chase my own kids around, much less three the same age!
Seriously. Blown. Away.
Kudos to you!!
Really? You're playing the I-Had-Triplets Card? Well played!
This is how I know I should never have kids. I have whispered "I will end you" to a CAT. And I kind of meant it.
But seriously, I am in awe that you have raised three little people and not even lost one of them. It's one of those things I simply cannot fathom doing successfully, and I am always impressed with people who can.
Post a Comment