Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Fat and fashion.

I saw this woman on the bus the other day that was just so damn fabulous.

She was enormously overweight, but she wasn't cute despite that; it added to the utter fabulousness. She had on this hot pink dress, a great color for her, that showed off her giant bazoombas, why not, and fell straight from under said bosom in a very flattering and yet not tent-like or phantom-pregnancy-inducing way.

She accessorized with giant silver hoop earrings with sparkly gems in them, chunky silver bangles, a giant silver handbag with square studs, and silver flip flops. I seriously could not stop just looking at her outfit. I just love super matchy looks. I am a sucker for matching, like, earrings and shoes and/or handbag. But also the whole outfit and her demeanor just exuded this fabulous rich fullness, like some kind of showy rainforest flower in full bloom.

So I swallowed my (intense, crippling) fear of initiating contact with fellow humans and stopped (on my way off the bus, because I am still a coward) to tell her that I just thought she was completely fabulous and I loved her whole look. She smiled and said "Thank you! I try, I try." I sincerely hope I made her day because really, her outfit made mine.

And I encourage you, my fellow humans, to do this also. Break out of the social convention of no eye contact! don't make eye contact! to tell someone that their t-shirt rocks, that you like their hairstyle, or that somehow you appreciate something they've brought to the world, sartorially or otherwise.

34 comments:

Eric said...

That is a very good point to make. I can strike up a conversation with almost anyone, and it usually turns out better than you'd think.

Cora said...

I do that now. I can't help myself. If I like what you're wearing, I'll tell you no matter who you are. I think it comes from working retail in college - I used to walk around complimenting everyone as they tried on the clothes. :-)

Hunter said...

I like your description of "a showy rain forest flower in full bloom." And I accept the assigned mission.

BeckEye said...

Yeah, I hate the no eye contact thing. It's nice to just have a random conversation every now and then.

Char said...

Bet you did make her day--good on you.
"The Slippers of Glory", I just know I am going to die if I don't
get some of those shoes. They Rock!

Little Ms Blogger said...

It's funny because I shy away from people, but they approach me and often tell me something very personal about themselves.

writer.elh@gmail.com said...

I try hard to compliment one stranger a day. It's surprising how good it makes you feel. When everyone is spending their time texting and Facebooking, it is nice to have someone look you in the eyes and speak to you — especially if they giving you a compliment.

Soda and Candy said...

Eric - Ohhh, conversation is not for me! A quick hit & run before I leave, that's my speed ; )

Cora - Heehee, I hope you make it more believable than salesgirls do!

Hunter - Thank you sir! Yay, I just know putting good feelings out there can only do good!

BeckEye - There are still some people on public transport that you ought not to make eye contact with... or sit downwind of.

Char - Ha! Slippers are great even without the glory. But you are a Southern Lady so I am sure you know wtf is going on ;)

Little Ms Blogger - I'd be okay with that if it wasn't something TMI, and if they didn't expect a return confession!

writerelh - Noooo, human contact! Hehe. You are a good person for doing that!

SkylersDad said...

I have always been the type of person to come up and engage somebody, usually invading their personnel space by more than the 75% barrier, complimenting them until they finally issue the restraining order... sob. why oh why is it always the restraining order?

Mr. Condescending said...

That was super nice of you S&C!

There is a psychological principle that deals with unsolicited compliments like that, and it can be very powerful.

I read a story of how a guy was waiting at a bus stop when a nice man next to him complimented him on his tie. He thought that was the nicest thing in the world.

Not long after, the guy recognized him on TV, it was Jeffrey Dahmer. Even after seeing what Dahmer did, he still said he was convinced that he was a good guy and would be cleared of everything. All because of the tie compliment.


By the way, you may have been in Oz when Dahmer was around, he killed people, chopped them up and ate them.

Ps: I know that sounds bad, but I didn't mean it as to discourage random kind acts!

mo.stoneskin said...

Awww you're absolutely brilliant. If we ever meet I'll make sure I'm wearing matching accessories.

Soda and Candy said...

SkyDad - You stay out of my personnel space! ; )

Mr C - I'm familiar with Mr Dahmer's work. That is funny though! I will be sure to compliment as many people as I can if I ever become a serial killer.

Mo - No, *you're* brilliant : D but yes on the matching.

Gwen said...

It will come as no surprise when I say I'm no shrinking violet when it comes to talking to strangers. And I compliment people all the time. I love when someone says nice things about how I look, so I spread the love!

Eric said...

oooh, ooh, Dahmer joke:

Did you hear about Jeffery Dahmer's neighbors?
No.
They went out for a shin-dig.

hehe

Soda and Candy said...

Gwen - I bet people compliment you in the street all the time though, you glam pixie!

Erix - Wah-wahhhh! ; )

LadyNansei said...

compliments can really make someone's day.

Soda and Candy said...

B - That's true : ) I love them!

Cooper Green said...

You've still got my fish! A bit smelly by now, no doubt.

Anonymous said...

You know what? I am going to do JUST that, this weekend. Thank you for the inspiration! And so glad you let someone know they rocked!

laurennicolelove.com said...

you are so fantastic. so glad i found you on cheryl's blog hahaha

xoxox

Soda and Candy said...

Coop - Of course, I shall treasure it always!

Spleeness - Thank you dear! Is it a selfish thing to do if it made me feel good too?

Laurennicolelove - Hi! Thank you! Cheryl is quite fabulous too isn't she? : )

words...words...words... said...

I'm usually too shy to speak to strangers, but this is still a good idea :)

Nanc Twop said...

''silver flip flops''

Those really just made it for me. Now I musts finds me some!

;-)

Soda and Candy said...

WWW - Then compliment someone you know, instead... maybe a blogger friend? ; )

Nanc - Yes! I just got some pale gold ones which are lovely, but silver is the best!

Farnnay said...

when we meet, i know just the thing to wear ;)

Soda and Candy said...

CA - For some reason I do picture you as very glamorous already : D

Anonymous said...

I love getting/giving random compliments! I always chat up strangers. Except in elevators. No one should speak to strangers in elevators. It's just too small and awkward.

Soda and Candy said...

Prosy - Yep, the elevator is not the place for that! Unless you're stuck for hours in a broken one, I guess?

Anonymous said...

I tell breakfast waitresses and coffee shop baristas I love them all the time when they bring me my coffee.
Does that count?

Soda and Candy said...

Cheryl - Of course it does, everyone likes to be loved! : )

LadyNansei said...

that was so nice what you did. Compliments can really make peoples days, I remember once a stranger said I was beautiful and it brittened up my week!

Soda and Candy said...

β - I need to do it more often! I love compliments too : )

rachaelgking said...

I ALWAYS want to tell someone when I love their [insert whatever here]. But I'm a chickenshit.

Next time I'll try harder, just for you. ;-)

Soda and Candy said...

LiLu - YOU?! I can't see you not being brave! You rule, missy.