Thursday, April 1, 2010

Reader Poll: It's just sour milk, really...


Do you pronounce it yogg-urt, or yo-gurt?


Please indicate your country of origin/residence so it can be taken into account with your answer.

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was always of the YOGGurt persuasion but having lived in North America a while now, I find myself saying YOgurt more. My alliances will always be with YOGGurt though I think. Deep down, you know? :) My country of origin is SCOTTISHLAND.

erin said...

yo-gurt. US/PA

BeckEye said...

I pronounce it correctly. I'm American!

words...words...words... said...

Yo-gurt.

USA! USA! USA!

I've never actually heard anyone say "yogg-urt". Must be only those backwards countries :p

Gwen said...

Yo-yo-yo-gurt! USA!

FunnyGal KAT said...

Yo-gurt, of course.
U-S-A!
U-S-A!
U-S-A!

Scope said...

yo-GURT - USA - Midwest

SkylersDad said...

I live in Colorado in the USA. We call it Yo-Gert.

Now then, is it A-lew-min-um, or Al-u-min-ium?

Hunter said...

The latter. USA.

Eric said...

Yo - gurt.
Texas, where almost every word is multi-syllabic.

Simon Butler said...

yoggutt, of course. Only un-English foreigners pronounce it otherwise.

See the Etymology and spelling section in Wikipedia for more information.

Soda and Candy said...

I love how the US Americans turned this into a chanting opportunity.

The thing is, I can't remember how Aussies usually said it, since I've been here so long.

I enjoy that two commenters asserted their pronunciation was the correct one, despite, I suspect, being different!

Mr. Condescending said...

haha I would LOVE to hear someone say yoggurt!

Yo-Gurt usa/ny

I'm almost positive I've seen british people spell it different?

Anonymous said...

Yo-gurt/USA. But I also call it "nasty." :D

Soda and Candy said...

Mr C - Some crazy people spell it yogurt or even yoghourt. But they are wrong.

Well Fed - Haha, surely it depends on the yoghurt? US yoghurt is usually a bit like candy.

Mr. Condescending said...

Yess that's it, yoghurt! I'm not refined enough to spell it that way yet.

Trinity said...

I pronounce it "Dis-gust-ing" but Yo-gurt is how my wife says it. Texas.

Soda and Candy said...

Mr C - Pshaw, you are plenty refined ; )

Trinity - Aw, don't hate on the yoghurt!

Addy's Daddy said...

Go-gurt, personally, but I'm partial to that Rabbit from Trix....

Cora said...

YO-gurt. West Coast, USA.

But when I was little I pronounced it YOGG-urt because I spoke with a British accent until my American friends Americanized me.

And because it was so stinkin' cute, I'll tell you my daughter used to call it "my gurt" when she was about two because she thought I was saying "your gurt." And I still tease her about it to this day.

My gurt.

*snicker*

Anonymous said...

Yeah, exactly. If they make it with sugar, it's way too sweet. If they make it with fake sugar, it's way too sweet AND it has a disgusting aftertaste. There's no winning with yogurt. I'd rather have cottage cheese.

Soda and Candy said...

Addy's Daddy - Hi! You kids with your convenient mobile yoghurt! *shakes head in curmudgeonly fashion*

Cora - Hahaha, that is adorable. My nephew used to call birthday cake just "birthday". Well, it is the most important art of the birthday!

WellFed - Heh. You had me until you started talking about cottage cheese *blech* but that's healthier than mascarpone, which I would choose!

LadyNansei said...

I'm Australian but I say yo-gurt. . . then again I call thongs flip-flops but mum stays mum;)

Soda and Candy said...

B - Heh. I think the other meaning of thong has become too universal, at least among younger Aussies. I still laugh whenever anyone here says "fanny" though, because here it means your bottom.

Mr. Condescending said...

Haha a couple weeks ago in a store this little girl was throwing a tantrum and her grandma told her she would spank her fanny!

Soda and Candy said...

Mr C - Ouch! I would have been giggling like a twelve year old if I was there!

laurennicolelove.com said...

yo-gurt. united states.

Eurasian Sensation said...

Australia. And I proudly say "yo-gurt".

My dad says "yoggurt", but I always thought is sounded a bit elitist. "Yo-gurt" is a bit more street.

Soda and Candy said...

ES - Thanks, I am pretty street myself! Yay, another Aussie!