I'm not big on sports in general. I'm crap at playing them, and watching them on TV makes my eyelid twitch with boredom.
I do like going to see the odd live game though. I have been to see (Aussie) football, baseball and just recently ice hockey. It still depends on the sport; I'm pretty sure tennis would be cool too but cricket or American football would send me into a coma.
The ice hockey was actually a good experience. They were college teams, fairly talented and pretty closely matched, which is good. If you have no loyalty to either team it's not so interesting to see one of them get demolished.
They have all kinds of rules I was completely unaware of, but I didn't need to know about them. All you need to know is (1) get the puck into the right goal, and (2) bash the crap out of the guys in the other shirts, hopefully while the ref is not looking.
I'm not a particularly violent person but there was something very satisfying about large blokes sliding about and smacking into each other.
Also we were not close enough to see any blood if there was any, although one guy did stand up and yell "Take off your skate and slash his neck!" I'm pretty sure he was kidding... right?!
What about you, dear readers?
What sports do you like?
Do you prefer watching on TV, watching live or (*shudder*) playing them yourself?
numer darowizny: SRTF/067/SWD .
1 month ago
22 comments:
My favorite for watching in person is Ice Hockey. My favorite for watching on TV is either downhill skiing or swimming.
What sports do you like? I like American Football the best on TV. Shoot me in the head before making me watch NASCAR racing or televised golf.
In person, nothing beats baseball. They are serving beer right? If not, then horse racing. Make a couple bucks on the ponies.
SkyDad - Yep, ice hockey is fun! I can't follow swimming on TV because I can't tell the swimmers apart once they're in the water.
Scope - I don't know if it's mean to the animals, but if not then I think horse racing would be good to watch. Hey it's only 2 minutes long so that's good for my attention span!
I'm English, so football. Proper football, the one that's played with the feet. Although my team are currently having their worst season in living memory, so bah. I'm quite a big fan of hockey now, and I've been to a few Senators games with my in-laws. And I do enjoy watching American Football, so long as I have a book or something to do in all the ad breaks.
And the worst sport? Cricket. The most boring pastime ever invented.
Gymnastics. That's it. Done.
I can hit a baseball like a mofo though. Like a mofo = I've never been pegged with the ball in the batting cage = win!!
Ah, the blood lust of hockey virgins! I love seeing it for the first time.
In person my favorites are ice hockey (the best, hands down) and football, especially the playoffs. Baseball is a fun day out, but it's only partly due to the actual game.
On TV football is king. Baseball is nice on TV too. Hockey only if it's in HD. I believe that the poor quality of hockey on TV is part of why it is not more popular.
To play, I like football, hockey, volleyball and water polo.
TIR - Haha, that reminds me of Giles on Buffy making fun of Americans for "strapping on 40 pounds of body armor just to play rugby" Also, YES! Cricket is like visual Valium.
Steamy - I quite like watching gymnastics in the Olympics, and becoming an expert "Oooh, that wobble's gonna cost ya!"
WWW - Heehee, blood lust. You know what else it was about hockey? There's not really any downtime like there is in pro football or baseball. Even when nothing's happening, at least half of them are skating about, which is more interesting to watch than people walking. I might like American football if I understood what was happening.
I've always loved horseback riding, and to those who say it isn't a sport I dare to try hunter or dressage for two hours one afternoon. There's a reason cowboys walk bowlegged! Sadly since moving out and into the city I never get to do it anymore, but there was a time when I spent more time at the barn than I did at home. Ah, sweet memories...
On TV I like to watch gymnastics and figure skating, only because it's all "holy crap I could never do that!" If there's a bunch of us, watching hockey or hurling on TV can be pretty fun, too.
Baseball is the most boring game in the world.
Admittedly, I'm not a big sports chick. Duh. Thus I much prefer to catch sports on TV than in person because on TV I can change the channel or walk away once I'm bored. :-)
Watching tennis, gymnastics (does that count?), and NASCAR (sorry, Scope) can get pretty exciting. But I'll be wanting to gouge my own eyes out with a melonballer if I'm watching golf or baseball.
As for actually playing them myself, I can no longer run in my old age, so that cuts down on the sports playing a wee bit. I'll play volley ball and badminton with my daughter in our backyard in the Summer, but we're utter crap at it.
missrandell - I think I would like horse-riding if I had an opportunity to get good at it. OMG ponies!!
Cora - Me either, I don't really watch it on TV unless I'm with someone who desperately wants to. I used to play badminton with my dad's wife when I was a kid; we were so bad we called it awfulminton.
College football on television or in person at the game is great. Baseball at the ballpark is good, but in Dallas we only have the Texas Rangers who never ever win, so that deflates it a bit. Dallas Stars ice hockey is great when in the luxury box of the big boss.
I don't like pro football though...
I like to play baseball and basketball, but can't stand watching basketball on television because it's so boring.
Not a big sports fan, but always like watching rugby. Mostly for the thighs. I'm shameless really.
Eric - Yeah basketball does seem more fun to play than to watch. Also I am super-jealous of your luxury-box privileges.
Madame DeF - Heh. Rugby players definitely have toned legs. I assume that's why they wear those little shorts to show them off, the shameless hussies.
i started playing racquetball with my dad. its sooooo hard!!!!! but its fun=)
Hi, Mrs Cullen! Racquetball is like tennis, only up against a wall instead of over a net, right?
I don't mind watching basketball in person, because at least it's fast and energetic. Baseball and American football bore me to tears on tv or in person. So slow....
Gymnastics is good too. It's so bendy.
SPORTS!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!
You talked about sports!
I'm all about some baseball and basketball. I'll watch football and hockey, too, but I prefer baseball and basketball.
Vic - I know, I like sports where something is happening all the time. There's too much waiting around with American footy.
joshlos - I KNOW!!! Don't hold your breath waiting for it to happen again ; ) really? Baseball seems kinda dull to watch, I get basketball though.
I'm not a big sports watcher but will watch the play off games in any sport.
Peach Tart - That's like the finals, right? I still remember the World Cup soccer final I watched back in high school, it was Italy v Brazil. Grown men wept like babies. It was fantastic.
I hate televised sports. It's the most boring thing I could think of doing ever.
Spleeness - The only good thing about televised sports is that they take less energy than real life sports.
Post a Comment