Friday, November 6, 2009

Longing.

I stood up straight suddenly, whatever I was doing forgotten
pierced through the heart with a sudden intense longing for that place
The place I used to live

The stale smell of the city held inside the bus
inside my lungs
until I stepped out at the beach
The wind blowing in off the ocean
whipping sand at my legs
Salt in the air - taste it, breathe its freshness.

The waves were turquoise glitter by day, soft black oil at night.

I still live near to the sea (I don't think I could ever live far from shore)
But it's not the same shore, not the same sea
So I longed for that place I used to live.

13 comments:

Scope said...

To sea, to not to sea: that is the questions:
Weather 'tis nobler in the windsurfer's mind
To suffer the pangs and sorrow of outrageous futures,
Or to take wings again, o'er seas of travels.

- Sorry to muck with your pretty poem and the homesickness.

words...words...words... said...

I like this. Smells are the most vivid reminders of the past for me.

Soda and Candy said...

Scope - Nah, it was just a passing moment. I love your poem!

WWW - I read somewhere that the brain parts that deal with sense of smell are somehow closer linked to the memory bits than the other senses, so that's why smell seems more evocative than other senses. Cool huh?

Char said...

Yes, Way cool!

Soda and Candy said...

Char - Thank you! It's not really a very good poem, but I jut wanted to communicate the idea of that sudden memory out of nowhere that stops you in your tracks...

Madame DeFarge said...

I know what you mean. I live somewhere very pleasant, but it's not quite home. Not quite Scotland.

Soda and Candy said...

M DeF - Aww. I know, I like where I live too, but it's not the same. Do you get back to Scotland to visit sometimes?

Eric said...

The grass can seem greener where you used to be, huh? Just go visit for a while...

Soda and Candy said...

Eric - Nah, just a different shade of green, that's all. : )

sas said...

hey miss - I got a badge for you :)
email me?
saslockey@gmail.com

Soda and Candy said...

Sas - Done and done thank you ma'am!

Trooper Thorn said...

Why is every ocean different when they are really all one big body of water?

Soda and Candy said...

Trooper - Hi, welcome! I don't know, maybe it's the bits of land next to it that's different, not the ocean itself?