I was reading something the other day that was talking about how the Twilight series & Disney Princess stories create unrealistic expectations for little girls, and how they're misogynist because the princesses just passively wait for the prince to rescue them. And although it is hypocritical of me to judge someone else for over-analyzing the trivial, I thought "Oh, come on! Really?"
Hello, it's a fairytale. There's nothing wrong with fantasy.
I mean, who doesn't want to be rescued? If you were Cinderella and an absurdly wealthy, handsome bloke turned up and fell in love with your soot-streaked face, would you give a second thought to feminine solidarity with those bitchy stepsisters of yours and say "No thanks, I'll rescue myself. I depend on no man!" Of course not, you'd say "Take me to your castle, handsome!" It doesn't mean that you then expect this is how real relationships function.
However, I must recognize that I can take that point of view because I have other options. I can work. I can choose my own career. I chose my husband for myself (okay, we chose each other but you know what I mean). I'm not one of those women who wrinkles their nose prettily and says "Ooh, no, I'm not a feminist!" like it was the other F word (yeah, I knew you were wondering what the post title was on about). Actually I can't understand how it came about that it's considered a bad thing to say you're a feminist - by some women. Are they afraid the boys won't like them? "Thinking gives you wrinkles!"
...Sorry, this post is kind of going in six different directions at once. And here's another one. Since I've decided that fairytales are perfectly acceptable when we accept them as fantasies, wouldn't it be nice to see a fairytale in which the woman rescues the man from his wicked stepmother / life of drudgery / lack of hairdresser / centuries-long coma? Or would the gender reversal require a different type of "rescue"?
Your thoughts in the comments, please and thank you!
numer darowizny: SRTF/067/SWD .
1 month ago
25 comments:
I used to love the TV series Alias with Jennifer Gardner, because she was such a strong character, and the top dog in the business.
I think there's an entire sub-genre of porn that covers the role reversal you're talking about.
Okay, I made that up. But it's probably still true.
Fairy tales are fine for girls but I don't see many guys enjoying a reversed situation one.
What the heck is with this twilight thing it's EVERYWHERE.
The one guy looks like he pees his pants.
SkyDad - I watched the first series but pouting & running can only do so much for me.
; )
Hunter - I bet you're right, but I'm not gonna be googling it.
Mr C - I guess it depends on what your fantasy is!
I have to say that skylersdad has a good point, I do like strong, powerful women characters. But I would want to be equally as powerful.
Minus the coke habit and borderline incest, I always liked the sister in cruel intentions, that's my kinda girl.
Interesting.. well, I think of myself as a feminist, and I really could not care less what people thought about that. So there.
Want to read a fairy tale where the woman rescues the man?
Read my blog. :-)
I don't want to be rescued.
Actually, I would like to be rescued from the imbecilic drivers that plague our roads. That would make a wonderful fairytale.
I have loved reading fantasy my whole life, but oddly enough the 'love relationship' I wanted so super bad was Meg and Cal's from A Wrinkle in Time.
They just knew they were going to be together and had a real loyalty and familial sense to their relationship. It was very sweet and real.
I think an important point on fairy tales is they aren't set in modern times. I don't think many girls really expect a prince to ride up on a horse because he would get hit by a car.
Also, the Frog Prince is exactly the fairy tale you describe. Woman finds Prince in distress, Her kiss rescues him, Love ensues.
I’ve been having just this argument – I mean discussion – with a 20 year old woman I know online. She is really incensed by the popularity of the series, and cites the reason you give as one of her complaints. Having an interest in folktales and mythology I pointed out that it was pretty archetypal ‘damsel in distress’ material, a genre that’s proved very popular for centuries, if not millennia, but she wasn’t buying it.
I think it’s a matter of both degree (Bella does seem to be particularly gormless even by fairytale standards) and style: this isn’t a fairytale, or a Disney film, it’s written with a greater degree of realism (if you can use such a term for a fantasy novel). I don’t really see teenage girls remodelling their entire lives after reading it, but it does encourage that kind of thinking, which can’t be entirely good.
As to your final point, there are quite a few alternative fairytales around. Terri Windling and Ellen Datlow published a series of collections of short stories that varied from humorous to extremely dark retellings of popular tales. Gender reversal, lesbian/gay characters and so on. This genre has become quite popular in its own right, though obviously nothing like as much as books like Twilight.
Mr C - Strong female characters are the opposite of what most fairytales are like, I guess... Yeah I would minus those characteristics as well!
Morgan - Yay!!! Good for you.
Scope - Awww. You two might need to write a book.
Mo - "And he was doomed to spend thousands of years waiting behind that one nanna with her turn signal on, until the Princess came and rescued him!"
erin - Hmm I have not read that but might have to seek it out! I like MaryJanice Davidson books.
Trinity - Oh awesome! First black princess AND first feminist princess? Nice one.
I want to see a a fairytale in which a talking car that solves crime rescues good people from evil. That would be sweet.
Simon - Yes, from what I've heard Twilight is probably worse in that respect than fairytales because being modern, it has that air of realism about it. Also, gormless is an excellent word!
Del-V - Hahahahaha, it would! What a shame no one has thought of it!
I'm not sure I'd want to be rescued anyway. Handsome princes are usually drips, with pageboy haircuts and no chest hair. I want a Beast.
I was just thinking about this. I just read a touching poem about a woman waiting for a guy to make her life complete:
http://ow.ly/IbbW
And while I enjoyed the poem, I disliked the idea that there is no completeness until you find HIM.
You bring up an important point - that we have choices and maybe that's what makes the difference.
Nothing wrong with a fairy tale either!
Madame - Euuw, pageboys! What about a burly woodsman, like in Little Red Riding Hood?
Spleeness - Fish, bicycle et cetera. I will have to check out the poem!
hahaha...have you been reading Jezebel?
I just caught Scope's comment. AWWWWWWWWWWWW!!
:-)
When my daughter was little one of her favorite books was "Prince Cinders" about a skinny, wimpy male Cinderella who wishes he was big and hairy like his idiotic brothers. At the end of the story, a Princess proposes to him and whisks him away from his mean brothers. It's AWESOME!
It's a strange situation. For 99% of the millennia that these fairy tales have been popular, it was not considered at all shameful to feel like the princesses in the stories. Being rescued by a man (if not a prince) was a matter of course. It's just the way the world worked.
In the last 50 years or so, things have changed. But that's not long enough to upend hundreds or thousands of years of literary and social archetypes. Only time will tell if these stories remain relevant.
All those princesses are so young they just hadn't gotten around to saving themselves. I'm positive they would have had Prince Charming not come along first. Let's just rest assured all these girls were the pants (tights?) in the relationship as the story continues.
Sidenote: Remember when Charlotte on Sex and the City said we all just want to be rescued? Great episode!
Well-Fed - haha, among other sources, yes!
Cora - Oh man, I should get that for every little girl I know! And I KNOW, right? Your man is smitten.
WWW - That's very true. You're so wise!
Jules - Haha, good theory, perhaps it was just more convenient to be rescued early! Oddly enough I never got into SatC, which is weird because I love shoes.
Ugh.
Woman who sweeps in and saves male loser from impending doom? Sounds WAY too much much my real life. No thanks.
;)
Hannah - Hahahahaha! Oh Hannah, I think you just won Best Comment on this post!
Post a Comment