Thursday, August 20, 2009

Racist dog food commercial.

I just watched this ad for Cesar dog food and I must say I am appalled.

It shows various large dogs in "hilarious" attempts to do things that small dogs usually do, like sitting on a girl's lap, getting in a bicycle basket, hopping into a handbag and so on.

Like that unattractive girl at your work who wears too-tight, unflattering t-shirts that say "goddess" and "sexy", big dogs just don't get it.

The "punchline" of this propagandist tripe is "not every dog wants to be a Cesar's dog".

Oh really, Cesar? What, your food is too good for big dogs? Big dogs aren't fancy enough for you? I'm sure there are plenty of big dogs out there who would just love to be fancy and eat out of your little gold foil packets. But noooooo, you have to practice doggy apartheid and remind those more generously-proportioned pups that they're not allowed to enjoy your precious Steak Florentine. "Stick to your Generic Chunks in Goo!" you cry heartlessly to our big-boned canine chums.

Racist.


***
Disclaimer:
Of course I don't equate jokey little-dog snobbery with something as serious and hateful as racism. And the commercial is freaking adorable. It's just that I think one's size shouldn't get in the way of one's ability to be fancy. Am I right ladies?

29 comments:

Candy's daily Dandy said...

*standing applauding*

All the fancy Sheppards,Mastif's and Great Danes, while wiping away a small tear, applaud you.

Happy Hour...Somewhere said...

Every big dog owner I know loves to sneer at little dogs...yappy little curs that they are. Little dogs are such snobs though. They laugh at the big dog left at home because they don't freakin' fit in the little doggie purse. I own a fat weiner dog and a Papillon with the ridiculous butterfly ears (not my doing, kids dragged them home). I would love to own a big dog and be totally racist to the little dogs. Practicing my sneer now.

Soda and Candy said...

Candy - Hahahaa! Awww, what a sweet mental image!!!

Happy Hour - Yeah! Give 'em a taste of their own medicine!

The Peach Tart said...

It adorable but clearly just another example of size discrimination.

Anonymous said...

*laughing hysterically at the realization that dogs are racist too.
**realizes that really shouldn't be funny. And yet? It is!

Morgan the Muse said...

I wonder if they had a beard-strokey meeting about that one... hmm...

I get all my history facts from Eddie Izzard, by the way.

Eric said...

Dogs are great...

words...words...words... said...

I think you may want to take a break from TV, S&C.

Madame DeFarge said...

Of course, all girls like little dogs because we can carry them about with us in our handbags. We can't cope with manly big dogs. We want fluff. Preferably cute fluff. How unlike what we look for in men.

Soda and Candy said...

Peach Tart - Exactly. *huffs*

Twinkie - Hehe, right?

Morgan - Yes!!! Eddie Izzard's stand-up here he talks about historical stuff is fantastic!

Eric - Yes. Yes they are (Or was that code for "I want you to know I read this post."?)
; )

WWW - *clenches teeth* I know you're upset right now, so I'll pretend you didn't say that.

Madame - I desperately wish I had either a dog small enough for a handbag, or a handbag big enough for a dog. Whichevs.

the girl with the pink teacup said...

As the owner of a large and rather unwieldy part-German Shepherd pooch, I can safely say that I know which dog I wouldn't be inviting over for a posh doggy dinner. And yeah, I totally just reverse-discriminated against that little dog, didn't I? Crap! But really, no dog likes snobbery or size/breed judginess while they're trying to eat a gourmet, foil-packeted meal.

(And, uh, my dog totally tries to hop into baskets/handbags/other confined spaces that are clearly too small for her just like those lovely pooches on the ad. I don't think she's a sizeist, though, because she can't even work out her own freakin' size. Dogs are awesome.)

Soda and Candy said...

Teacup - The only problem is, the foil packet for a dog like yours would have to be the size of a lasagna pan!!! I heart dogs too. Except when I have to pick up poop, that's not fancy at all and it makes me pine for a cat.

Kurt said...

That disclaimer makes me think your are totally racist against racism.

Soda and Candy said...

Kurt, I am *definitely* racist against racism. Racism is not allowed to drink from the same water fountain (Aus. bubbler) as me in case it give me racism cooties (Aus. germs).

rachaelgking said...

Obviously I got the DRIPPING WITH HILARIOUS SARCASM, but the disclaimer just made this a thousand times better. Yes, my dear... YES!, you are right. Ladies.

Anonymous said...

I always wonder who buys that 'gourmet' dog food that looks like people food. Made by Chef Mark or whatever. It looks better than my lean cuisine.

Soda and Candy said...

LiLu - Heehee, thanks!!! Sometimes it's hard to communicate the tone of voice without the, errr, tone of voice. So I figured a disclaimer couldn't hurt.

Prosy - Right? And they always put that damn little sprig of parsley on it. Like your dog hasn't just been eating grass and dirt and licking his own butt.

tennysoneehemingway said...

As everyone has seen my dog's from my blog, I'd just like to say yes to you S&C. A big dog should be able to eat whatever they want. Even little dogs.

Simon Butler said...

The spam emails I get always imply the opposite – that larger is better, and that small is something to be embarrassed about. Of course they’re trying to sell me breast-enhancement pills, so I suppose it all balances out in the end.

Laura said...

I have never likened another dog to that unattractive girl at your work who wears too-tight, unflattering t-shirts. But I am so glad someone did. Because it's hilarious. You rock Soda!

SkylersDad said...

I have two very large dogs that think they are lap dogs, they have an over abundance of love!

Soda and Candy said...

Tenny - Hahahaha! Yeah unfortunately dogs do tend to eat what they want... the couch, the rug, the remote control...

Simon - Larger IS better, except when it tries to sit in your lap.

Lola - *blushes* why thank you!!!

SkyDad - They think they're lap dogs even when their lap is bigger than yours.
; )

BeckEye said...

I can't say anything bad about Cesar because a Westie is their mascot.

PerplxinTexan♥ said...

Grrr, I can't stand animals but i loved this post. I swear tv does have subliminal messaging the American cartoons that involve animals is disgust!

Soda and Candy said...

Beckeye - He is pretty damn cute. Do you have one or just love them?

Perplxn - You can't stand animals, really?

Farnnay said...

That was just weird. And I totally wouldnt have caught on had you not said anything.

Cora said...

I actually squealed out loud - what a cute commercial! Love it!

And big dogs so rule. I adore them! :-)

Sharon said...

Thank god all the fat dogs have you sticking up for them. It's about time someone did. By the way, how do you feel about designing a clothing line for fat dogs? Perhaps you could call it "Plus Size Pooch" or "K9-18"

Soda and Candy said...

CA - I try to be informative on occasion!

Cora - Aww. You are cute!

Sharon - How about "Puppy Phat"? Or do yo think Kimora already has that one trademarked?