Monday, August 24, 2009

Surprised.

Apologies in advance for the swear in this one.


Surprised by beauty unlooked for
Iridescent green, gold and bronze
Glinting from a beetle's back
As it heaves its determined way
Out of a pile of shit

16 comments:

the girl with the pink teacup said...

You, my sweet lady, are a poetess like no other. If only shit could be this literary all the time.

More poems? Pretty please?

(And don't apologise for swearing – it almost spoiled the punch line, so to speak!)

SkylersDad said...

That's my kind of poetry...

BeckEye said...

What a shitty poem.

ba-dum-bum

Eric said...

Nice, would the converse of this be like finding a fly in your chardonay? Or winning the lottery and dying the next day?

Soda and Candy said...

Teacup - I've got one other in the pipeline. I know, but swearing is not so common on my blog so I thought I ought to put a warning.
; )

SkyDad - What, short sweary ones?
: )

BeckEye - Hahahahahaha!

Eric - Haha, nice Nineties reference.

Madame DeFarge said...

That's my kind of beetle.

mo.stoneskin said...

Brilliant. I love that kind of poetry. Da dada dada bang!

words...words...words... said...

Wow, that took me back to being a little kid and watching the giant horseflies at the beach. You described them perfectly.

Soda and Candy said...

Madame - I prefer Australian christmas beetles, they're still shiny but less invested in poop.
; )

Mo - Thank you!!

WWW - Aw, thanks!

Cooper Green said...

I had no idea you were so poetic. Or so observant. Next time I'm out walking, I'm going to make a point of looking for big steamers, and see if I can't get some of the same appreaciation for beauty that you have.

Soda and Candy said...

Hahaha!

...you think I'm observant.

Tash said...

I'm going to hold my tongue and say that last line out loud so it sounds like "out of a pirate ship." Technically, that means you didn't swear.

I learned a lot from the playground.

Sally-Sal said...

Why do doodoo bugs have to be so pretty?

Soda and Candy said...

TishTash - hahahahaha! Excellent, I've been absolved!

Sally-Sal - I know, right? I definitely did not want to pick it up for a closer look.

Vic said...

Now there's a metaphor!

Soda and Candy said...

Vic - Thank you!!! I thought it was really interesting how everyone was taking it so literally. While it did actually happen, it seemed to be meaningful in other ways. More ways than "damn, I really need to clean the yard."