Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Soda Fountain of Knowledge Language Edition: Dero Moll

You have Season 3 of Australia's Next Top Model to thank for today's SFoK entry.

dero:

1. n. An unattractive, unkempt, disheveled person, possibly homeless. From derelict. Usually used in a pejorative rather than literal sense.
For example: "She's a total dero!"

2. adj. Having the appearance of a dero.
"You're such a dero moll!"

moll:
n. A woman of low class, in both appearance and behaviour.
For example: "I hope she gets eliminated next, because she's a moll."

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha, I can almost hear "Dero". Sounds like something you'd hear on "Home and Away". I love Aussie slang, it's so literal and perfect! For the record, I just got up so I'm somewhat of a moll myself right now with my crazy hair and booty shorts. Yay!

Morgan the Muse said...

Dero Moll... okay... not certain how, but I will work that into conversation somehow...

Simon Butler said...

All right, in order to help my understand this, I tried watching the show in question, before realising – after about two minutes – that it was too intellectually demanding for me.

Such shows are a curious thing: an example of something featuring almost exclusively attractive girls, yet which is watched almost exclusively by women rather than by men, who just wait until it’s over before doing online image searches for the one they think is the prettiest, and have no interest in her class background or behaviour.

Laura said...

Oh! I adore these particular posts of yours. They are rather like my word of the day calender but much, much more fun!

SkylersDad said...

Interesting. I remember the term Moll from old gangster movies.

Soda and Candy said...

Veggie - Hahahaa, I bet they DO say it on Home & Away.

Morgan - Let us know how it goes ; )

Simon - I know, right? The Aussie one, by the way, has swearing and nudity, unlike the US one.

Lola - Awww, that's so sweet!!!

SkyDad - I think that's where it comes from actually. Some Aussies spell it as mole, but that doesn't make much sense to me.

Gwen said...

Crap. I think I'm a dero moll.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to put these words to use... hehehehe... ok but dero... does that rhyme with zero? I wanna make sure I'm saying it right!

Soda and Candy said...

Gwen - Never! You're a lady of taste & refinement.

Twinkie - Oh good point. it's pronounced deh-ro (emphasis on the first syllable), the deh is like if you said "debt" without the T sound at the end and the -ro is like row as in rowing a boat.

Tash said...

Cool, as in "gangster's moll?" Shame that word left the American vernacular. In fact, I would like to suggest that we resurrect several prohibition era words such as "moonshine" and "shweethaht."

Soda and Candy said...

Tish - Pass the moonshine, shweethaht.
; )

the girl with the pink teacup said...

Our mother tongue is so beautiful, isn't it? Part of me almost wants to volunteer my voice-over services so that our non-Aussie friends can hear 'dero moll' said in the authentic Australian-accented way!

I humbly beg that you turn your considerable lexicographic talents to one of these liguistic 'WTFs?' for the next edition:

• bush pig

• bogan (with photographic evidence)

• other shortened words ending with '-o' (e.g. milko, bowlo, smoko, etc.)

You make me proud to be Australian, lovely Soda. We are such a sophisticated bunch, aren't we?

tennysoneehemingway said...

I'm not sure anyone uses moll anymore, do they? It takes me back to high school, 1978. Then again, maybe some things are timeless.

Soda and Candy said...

Teacup - Yes! You should definitely figure out audio posts. Bogan is tough because it doesn't quite match up to anything here, it's almost like a meld of several concepts... I might give it a burl.
; )

Tennyson - I didn't think so either but it was like every other word out of these girls mouths. Most of them were absolute bogans which was quite funny because they all looked like angels.

Anonymous said...

Moll just doesn't carry the same sting as 'rotten whore.'

Soda and Candy said...

Prosy - But on the other hand, you can call someone a moll and as long as she's not an Aussie (and she hasn't read this) she'll have no idea you've insulted her!
; )

Farnnay said...

Is this aussie lingo??? FUN!!!! Teach us more!

Soda and Candy said...

CA - Yep! If you click on the Soda Fountain of Knowledge tag you should see all the other ones (provided I tagged them properly)

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I think I might be on the verge of being a dero....

Okay, I'm going to need more slang now. I love it!

Soda and Candy said...

Well Fed - Do you brush your hair less than once a day, and wear Ugg boots in public? If yes, you may be in trouble.
; )

Vic said...

So is a dero like a wino, only sober? It's important that I work out the finer shades of meaning before I work these words into my vocabulary.

Soda and Candy said...

Vic - No, it's pretty much exactly a wino.