Saturday, August 15, 2009

Seven Sweets

Someone thinks I'm awesome!


I felt pretty bad about neglecting to follow up on this award meme until I realized that the wonderful Cora, who gave it to me, had admitted to neglecting it for some time herself!

And how could I resist when Cora redesigned the award to have conspicuous sweet-toothed overconsumption, but also it has PINK in it?!

So in honor of Cora's redesign (and the writer's trick of sticking to what you know), my list of seven is all about sweet things from various corners of the globe that I could gorge myself on all day.

The hard part was narrowing it down to seven.

From Australia
Tim Tams
I know I've written about them before, but I can't leave them out of this list!!! Tim Tams are the quintessential Australian cookie, although Aussies call cookies biscuits* (we don't have the savory, scone-like things Americans call biscuits).
A Tim Tam is 2 rectangular chocolate biscuits with chocolate-flavored cream sandwiched in the middle, then the whole thing is covered in chocolate.
I like to eat them by themselves (in large numbers) but there is also a popular technique whereby the Tim Tam is used as a straw by biting off each end and sucking hot chocolate or coffee through it. Shamefully I haven't actually tried this, so if any Aussies out there want to elaborate on this procedure please do!!!

Jaffas
I'm not even sure Jaffas are being made any more. They're little spheres of orangey-flavored chocolate, coated with a thin layer of orange candy (like an M&M). The main use for Jaffas is not eating but rolling them down the aisles at the movie theatre - due to their spherical shape and smooth coating they roll quite well.

Fantales
Another movie theatre candy. Fantales are delicious individually-wrapped rectangular lozenges of milk-chocolate-coated chewy caramel. Your dentist will berate you if you eat too many of these sticky, chewy delights. It's sort of like getting a whole bag of my one favorite chocolate from an assorted box. The unique thing about Fantales is that on the wrapper there are (usually hilariously outdated) movie-related facts such as movie-star biographies or plot synopses of classic films.

Chupa Chups
Chupa Chups aren't really Australian, but as that's where I first ate them and I have yet to personally see them on sale in the US they're going in my Australian list.
Chupa Chups are a brand of lollipop, or sucker, which come in a huge variety of flavors. There's cola flavor, classic fruit flavors such as orange, lemon & strawberry, the expanded fruit range including delicious green apple and transcendent cherry, and a disturbing and unpleasant cream-based flavor range.
Chupa Chups originated in Spain; the name comes from the verb "chupar" which means to suck or lick**. The second-best thing about Chupa Chups, after their deliciousness, is that the logo was designed by one of my favorite artists, Salvador Dali. The third best thing is that the stick is made of plastic instead of paper so it doesn't get all mank and soggy while you're eating.


From America
Milk Duds
Milk Duds, like Fantales, are milk-chocolate-coated chewy caramel but they are not individually wrapped, they are smaller and sort of round pebble shaped. They are completely addictive and it is quite easy to eat a whole box very quickly.
There are of course many more wonderful American candies but this is the one I'm most in love with that is not available in Australia.

From England / Europe
Kinder Surprise Eggs
Kinder Surprise is made by Ferrero, an Italian company. It is a hollow egg (approximately the size of a regular chicken egg) made of a very mild milk chocolate with a thin layer of white chocolate on the inside. Inside the hollow egg is a capsule containing a toy.
They are supposedly designed for children (kinder being the German word for children) but are beloved by most people who like chocolate and awesomeness.
The best Kinder Surprise toys require some construction; they come in parts and have wonderfully simple wordless instructions included in the capsule. Sometimes you'll get a crappy one like a small plastic figurine or a little cardboard jigsaw puzzle, upon which event you throw a tantrum and demand to be bought a new one until a satisfactory surprise is received.

Terry's Chocolate Orange
Terry's Chocolate Orange is from England originally but sold in quite a lot of countries now. It is available in both milk and dark chocolate. It is a ball the size of a small orange, wrapped in orange foil. Before you unwrap the Orange, you bash it against a hard surface like a countertop to break each end, because this releases the segments - it is actually segmented somewhat like a real orange. This is adorable, but also makes it very easy to eat a solid tennis-ball sized amount of chocolate in a very short time.


And that concludes my thesis on interesting, tasty and wonderful things from around the world. Now it's time for that dreaded part of the meme where I infect other people with it. In honor of the Awesummm award's new non-girly-specific design, I am nominating only boy bloggers to pass this onto (but even if you're not on the list or not even a boy, please feel free to take this meme and run with it).
Please write a list of seven things from any topic you like, although I would be delighted if it was related to food and particularly sweet things.

I nominate:
the INdefatigable mjenks
mjenks, I'm so stupid, Cora already nominated you along with me, so you don't have to do it twice if you don't want to!!!

mo.stoneskin
Andy
Words... words... words...
Cooper Green
G Henry
Tennyson ee Hemingway
The Jules - I'm adding you in as a ringer for mjenks since you're my newest male blogroll member!



*Or bickies for short.
**Which you may recognize from the Mexican monster El Chupacabra, the goatsucker.

33 comments:

Simon Butler said...

Oh God! Terry’s Chocolate Oranges! *weeps* You neglected to say, by the way, that it is not uncommon for the bashing them on a table thing not to work (or indeed bashing them with a hammer), and for maximum enjoyment some still-stuck-together segments must be separated with a knife. Mmm…

Also when I read ‘Jaffas’ I thought ‘The poor girl has become confused – too much chocolate has affected her ability to think clearly; she clearly means Jaffa Cakes.’ But I was wrong, and apologise unreservedly.

Soda and Candy said...

Dude. How fast do you read?!

Also, yes, the Orange does have to be given quite a severe beating and possibly stabbing. How could something so wonderful engender such violence?!

I've never had a Jaffa Cake, am I missing out?

Anonymous said...

haha, I love this. Especially relevant b/c you're a runner up in the belt-giveaway post which means you get chocolate! (I think the winner would rather have that too, lol.) Contact me w/your mailing info so I can send it out: spleeness@yahoo.com. xo!

Farnnay said...

I love Milk Duds. even though they stick to my teeth.

Congrats on the award :) :)

Soda and Candy said...

Spleeness - Awesome! Also I have just blogrolled you.
: )

CA - I know, right? I'm dreading my upcoming trip to the dentist.

words...words...words... said...

I thought you meant Jaffa Cakes too. But Jaffas look worth a try, too. I'll eat anything orange flavored. And yes, you're missing out. You can find them at Cost Plus World Market, or wherever else they sell English foods.

Thank God for the meme. I have nothing to blog about.

Soda and Candy said...

WWW - I heart World Market so much right now. Also, you must be stumped, people aren't usually grateful for memes!

Kate said...

Congrats on the award! I'm going to check out all the people that you gave it to...thanks in advance for good reads!

Cooper Green said...

You have caused me to stay up well past my bedtime responding to your meme. I even missed this year's Sons Of Norway Lutefisk Toss and Skiboot Bake as a result, so I hope you're happy.

Cabin-boy Dave said...

Congratulations on the award, as disturbing as it looks.

There've been too many posts on candy around blogsville lately for some reason - I just read a recipe on profiteroles, and another on Key Lime Creme Brulee.

Not that I go looking for recipes. I don't. Honest.

Cheers from The Loony Bean

Soda and Candy said...

Kate - Yup, my homeboys rock.

Coop - Yayyyy!!! Gonna go read it next!

Cabin-boy Dave - Welcome! Silly man, there can never be enough posts about candy. Also, creme brulee is my favorite thing ever.

Esmé Glass said...

Dear God I love Kinder Surprise. I'm not even a chocolate lover, but those things are what heaven taste like.

Soda and Candy said...

Racquel - I KNOW. They're soooo good! I don't know if they're available here in the US, I haven't seen them anywhere.

Morgan the Muse said...

well, just so you know, there are way better candy from the US than Milk Duds. But I allow that if they are not there, then it is alright to list them.

Valerie said...

I used to be able to buy chupa chups at Costo in a huge tin in the States. Kinder uberashung eier are not available in the states because they're afraid that the kinder will eat the surprise. I ship them from Canada to my high school German teacher because she can't even get any vendors from Europe to send them to her anymore.

MJenks said...

I'm a little backed up right now, so I'll get around to this at some point. For both you AND Cora.

Soda and Candy said...

Morgan - No doubt. What's your favorite?

Valerie - Hahaha, I might have to get my mum to send me some then.

mjenks - Awww, thank you!!!

Mr. Condescending said...

I like skor bars that's the only candy ill eat besides reeses pieces!

Bea said...

i like the yogurt flavoured chupa chups, and the cream flavoured variety! you've made me hungry for chocolate and it's only 9:00!

Soda and Candy said...

Mr C - Mmmmm, Reese's cups would definitely have made a longer list.

Me Amped - Bleurgh, you can have them. The only creamy one that's almost okay is the strawberries & cream one.

Soda and Candy said...

It's Monday morning and my brain isn't ready, I accidentally rejected the following comments:

sas: tim tams sucked through hot tea. mmmmm.
also a huge turn on (apparently).
its something to do with the technique I guess, that prompts such gems as 'want something else sweet to suck on darl?'

Simon:One cannot be said to have truly lived unless one has slipped a Jaffa Cake between one’s lips, to have licked its smooth surface and sucked out its sweetness. That sensual pleasure, that orgasmic tingling sweeping through one’s body is something one never forgets, and always yearns to repeat; it is my opium.

—Simon’s Confused and Bewildering Sayings, Oxford University Press, 1997.

Sandy:To think that I've never heard of any of these delightful delight! It makes me a sad evil-megalomaniac.
Thank you for giving me yet another reason to take over the world! Must...eat...sweets...


mo.stoneskin:I could really do with a Tim Tam right now, especially having forgotten my lunch. Can't promise I'll do the meme, but I appreciate the nomination, especially being nominated alongside the mighty Jules.

Cora said...

Ohhhhhhh Terry's Chocolate Oranges are perhaps the MOST DELICIOUS thing ever invented!!!!

Mmmmm.....

Cora said...

Did Mjenks say he was backed up?

Ewww.

Eric said...

I need to take my Milk Duds back, there was no milk in them at all.

Soda and Candy said...

Sas - To which the reply is surely "Do you want me to bite the end off as well?"

Simon - Hahahaha, well played.

Sandy - Muahahahahahhaaaaaa! Really, NONE of them? Where are you from?

Mo - Natch, I think you would do it justice of you ever got round to it.
: )


Cora - Hahaha. Eeeeeuuuww! You filthy girl.

Eric - Well to be fair they are duds. (Dud is slang for something that doesn't work or isn't any good. Danged if I know what country it's from.)

Anonymous said...

OMYGAD I effing love those chocolate oranges! I always get on in my stocking at Christmas. Mm.

Soda and Candy said...

Yes, they are sooo good.

words...words...words... said...

My post is finally up :)

Anonymous said...

MUST.NOT.EAT..... ugh temptation is everywhere! I'm trying to lose weight for Vegas this weekend!!

Soda and Candy said...

WWW - heading over to check it out : )

Twinkie - Eh, everyone in Vegas is probably bigger than you already. You'll look like Kate Moss by comparison!!!

the girl with the pink teacup said...

Aw, crap! I hate being slow to your posts, Soda! (Note to self: get with the program.)

As far as the Tim Tam straw goes, my advice is that you've got to eat the biscuit almost immediately after you've sucked the tea/coffee through the biscuit. If you wait for too long, the hot liquid makes your Tim Tam collapse like a badly-engineered bridge. Leaving you with a cup of tea full of yucky looking Tim Tam floaters. Which are delicious anyway. Not that I'd know anything about that.

And I love you and sas just that little bit more (if it's even possible!) for that Tim Tam straw thread. GOLD.

Sally-Sal said...

Toffifay. It's like chocolate, hazelnut sex.

Soda and Candy said...

Teacup - And I've even slowed down!!! Don't feel bad, you always leave such good comments!

Sal - Ooh, I've never heard of that but now I want to!