Monday, October 5, 2009

Reader Poll: Tap Water.

What do you guys think about drinking water straight from the tap in the bathroom sink?

a) Totally fine. It's not like it's the toilet for God's sake.

b) Okay - as long as you drink from your cupped hands or a glass, not just putting your mouth under the tap like a drinking fountain.

c) Only okay for tooth-brushing purposes, and that mostly gets spat out again.

d) From the TAP??!! What are you, some kind of animal?

e) *splutter* *retch* Can't talk, busy looking for some Lysol to gargle with.


Full disclosure: I'm an A-B on this one. Go ahead & judge me.

39 comments:

Scope said...

I'm an A/B on this too, in small doses. 90% of the time, the water for the evening meds comes from the bathroom sink. But if I'm thirsty in the middle of the night, I hit the kitchen.

And this only applies to the sink. While you correctly ruled out the toilet, only an animal would drink from the tub spout or the shower head.

The Imaginary Reviewer said...

A. No problems whatsoever.

Trinity said...

I lean toward C but if I am too lazy to go down stairs A will do in a pinch. I am more likely to do A in the downstairs kitchen sink though.

mo.stoneskin said...

A.

I don't wrap my mouth right over the tap though, just hang underneath it.

Cowguy said...

Oh my Lord. I was born, grew up, and still live in the country. And by "country" I mean... the sticks. I have drank water from every source imaginable, and usually the worse ones were because I was so thirsty I couldn't have cared less. A communal tin cup hanging on a well pump on a 100 degree day, coming in from the hay field with the rest of the crew... that'll teach you a whole bunch of hygienic humility. :-)

Mr. Condescending said...

Yuck!

I'll only drink tap if I have to which is maybe once every couple years, and it has to have tons of ice in it, which somehow masks the nasty taste :P

Chris Gooch said...

I'm an A. No doubt about it. Unless it's the third world...

Hunter said...

Definitely "B".

Anything else, and I'm pretty sure that makes you a puppy kicking terrorist.

SkylersDad said...

Option A for me, I would even drink out of the toilet (the tank in the back that is).

Soda and Candy said...

I love that you guys got into this enough to provide detail!

Scope: Yeah me too. I'm not talking about whenever I want water, I'm just saying if you're in the bathroom already it's okay to drink a little bit of tap water!

TIR - Yay!

Trinity - Laziness is where it's at.

Mo - That's me exactly, I would never touch my mouth to the tap.

Cowguy - I bet you have the strongest immune system of all of us.

Mr C - Somehow I knew you'd be too fancy for tap water. : )

Mysterg - Not even just first world. I got sick at a friend's house in the Aussie bush from their rainwater-tank tap water.

Hunter - All right Judgy McJudgerson! Nah, you get a pass because I'm mostly a B as well.

Soda and Candy said...

SkyDad - *eye twitches* Mustn't... judge...

; )

The Caped Tirader said...

I typically don't drink from the tap unless I'm really thirsty...I usually have a gallon of water in my fridge

Soda and Candy said...

Tirader - Ooh fancy non-tap water? Yeah I don't really drink water unless I'm like, washing my hands or something, that's why I drink it from the tap instead of a glass.

Anonymous said...

It's exactly the same water that comes out of your kitchen tap, surely! It's just as clean to drink. I've never even heard anyone make a distinction before. What gives, Ozzie?

BeckEye said...

B - but only when it's really necessary.

I guess that makes me a pansi? That's my word ver.

Anonymous said...

haha, I'm A/B on this too. I drink out of it all the time. I don't particularly LIKE it as the water tastes nasty, like PVC pipe (which just makes me wonder what type of cancer I'll be getting and when), but I'm too lazy to go downstairs for a glass at midnight! So yeah, it'll do.

Soda and Candy said...

Veg - That's what I used to think, but the look of horror on Husband's face the first time he saw me drink from the bathroom tap ... it begs to differ.

BeckEye - Hahaa, pansi. Tap water's not fancy enough for you eh???
; )

Spleeness - exactly, it's just when you're already there, and it would be too much effort to go to the kitchen and mess about with cups and stuff!

words...words...words... said...

Solid A. I think Americans are too worried about germs and being unsanitary.

Anonymous said...

I totally slurp it right out of the tap. I mean, in my own bathroom, its not like a public restroom or anything.

Sam_I_am said...

C for me. It's not so much that I think it's disgusting, because its not. Our water is just so chlorinated here and it TASTES horrible. I really need to get a brita.

miss. chief said...

i'm a B. but if i've been throwing up i don't care anymore usually and then i'm an A

Morgan the Muse said...

Yes, A or B for me. Mostly B in my house though, maybe a bit of C, since our upstairs sink, the cold line is always really rusty and nasty. Fortunately, the sink is so far from the hot water heater, that I can usually get my teeth brushed with cold water in the line, and have warm water by the time I wash my face. Kind of handy.

tennysoneehemingway said...

Yeah, I got no problem with the tap. Especially when you're hungover.

Anonymous said...

It kinda depends on where in the house I am.

The water downstairs tastes metallic and normally I'd drink it anyway, but we have a Brita pitcher in the refrigerator so I can't see bothering with metallic water.

The tap in the upstairs bathroom, however, tastes perfectly fine, so I always fill up the water bottle I keep in my room with it.

I haven't tried the bathroom tap water at work because we have water filtration system in the kitchen.

For the record, I see no problem with putting your mouth under the tap if you're in your own private home. I personally don't do it, but that's because it's extremely awkward and I'd rather use a cup than get a crick in my neck.

sas said...

i live in london. there's several hundred years of victorian pipes my tap water has to travel through.

all water that passes my lips comes out of a bottle or has been triple filtered.

the tea kettle has a special filter on it as well.

rex the cat was drinking out of the loo. now we put filtered water in his bowl, he won't go near anything else.

Valerie said...

A all the way. But if you have well-water you should test it to make sure there isn't this one kind of bacteria in it. And don't they make toilets where you can wash-up with the water in the tank? I bet you could drink that. I mean, it is exactly what's coming out of your tap.

Laura said...

I'd only do A if I was drunk. Most of the time I'm a C gal.

nice post Soda, as always.

Soda and Candy said...

WWW - Damn straight. Toughen up, y'all!

Prosy - Oh yeah, definitely only at home!!!

Sam - Ugh, that chloriney taste!

Miss - Oh no, that's when you need to start boiling the water first! Unless you mean just when you're hung over or something.

Morgan - Boo, in winter our tap takes seven hours to heat up too and it's about two feet from the heater!

Tenny - Especially when you're pouring water down your throat to stave off other things coming the other way.

Well Fed - It really depends on the size of your sink ; ) I would never do it at work though, ugh.

Sas - Awww, you trained your cat to be fancy!

Valerie - Washing up with water that's been anywhere near the toilet might be a bit of a stretch. (Good to hear from you though!)

Lola - Hahaha, it's funny how people's standards slip when they're smashed! (Of course I am only talking about water, what else?) Thanks!

Mr. Condescending said...

God I can't believe almost every one is ok with drinking right out of the faucet.

rachaelgking said...

Oh, totally. Whatever's there. It's building up my immune system, anyway! Get your floride! (I have no idea how to spell floride.)

Madame DeFarge said...

More of a C girl. Our water tastes horrible from the tap.

Gwen said...

While I am not generally overly germaphobic or high maintenance about much, I have a thing about bathrooms. Totally a C, even when smashed.

Soda and Candy said...

Mr C - Hahahaha, take notes if you want to know who the nice germophobe, I mean clean, girls are for your blogger meet-ups!
; )

LiLu - Right? Also, fluoride.

Madame - That's fair enough.

Gwen - They showed a Mythbusters about bathrooms, basically they are incredibly clean precisely because everyone freaks out and uses high-intensity chemicals, but also? Always keep the lid down especially when flushing.

Simon Butler said...

a) of course. I would rather die than fall for the marketing scam that is bottled water. And unless you have unusual plumbing arrangements, which tap it comes from makes no difference. Perhaps you should ask your husband what he’s been using the bathroom sink for to cause him such distress.

Technical note: In England, most people’s water comes from boreholes into alluvial sand, which means rainwater that’s been naturally filtered and is about as pure as you’ll get it – certainly purer than bottled water, which is spring water and is contaminated with various metal salts. Some people have their tap water supplemented from rivers, or have all their water from reservoirs, in which case it’s filtered and, where necessary, chlorine added to kill bacteria. The latter group of people have my sympathy about the taste, but it’s perfectly good to drink – it is required to be by law. They can use ion-exchange filters if they want totally pure water, but that would be overkill for most people.

Sorry about the length – my late father used to work in the water industry, so saying something like ‘I only drink bottled water!’ has a distressing effect on me.

Soda and Candy said...

Simon - I feel so much more learned now! Thanks!

Tony Russo said...

A. But for me it's a where question as well. The water has been terrible at some places I've lived. My house water now is fine. In my office you can taste the pipes. I suspect they might be the sewer pipes.

Steam Me Up, Kid said...

I'm usually C, unless I'm hungover and dehydated. Then, all bets off. I once drank tap water out of my cat's dirty food bowl because of hangover thirst.

Soda and Candy said...

Tony - Bleurgh! I think I just threw up in my mouth a little!

Steamy - Was it lightly tuna-flavored? *spewing*

Cora said...

Wowza. You lit a fire under the buns of Blog World with this one. I'm sorry I missed it!!

As for me, A if I'm in my own house or somewhere else I feel comfortable. But E if I'm somehere which gives me the heebie jeebies to begin with - like a gas station bathroom or my ex-husband's house (thank you, no, I'd rather dehydrate.)