Sunday, October 11, 2009

Reader Poll: White Chocolate

White chocolate is:

a) delicious

b) all right once every six months or so (or if it's the only chocolate available)

c) second only to carob (aka Satan's chocolate) in evilness


Bonus questions:
Non-Aussie, non-American readers: How popular is white chocolate in your country? Do you have Milky Bars (small flat bars of white chocolate) or Cadbury Top Deck (a block with top half white, bottom half milk chocolate)?

American readers: What have you got against white chocolate, eh? Why does it have to have cookie pieces or truffly goo or vanilla bean pieces in it*? Why can't it just be free to be itself?

*Although the Ghirardelli block with vanilla bean stuff in it is rather nice. *smug smile*

************************

In other news, I got an award from the wonderful mysterg over at Meditations in an Emergency:

Mysterg is a really great blogger I discovered recently, and even though I suspect he gave the award to every blog he reads, it does make me smile to think that someone of his talent thinks well of my crazy nonsense. Also it is in Brazilian and French and has a stylish chick on it, which makes it one of the best awards evs. I'm very pleased to add it to my sidebar.

I was going to agonize over who to pass it on to but honestly I adore so many blogs it would either be an unfeasibly long list or I would forget someone and there would be hurt feelings, so just know that I adore your blog.

Yes, yours.

27 comments:

Scope said...

I think it's bad marketing. While it does contain cocoa butter, I think they should rename it something different. While I like it on occasion (as a diabetic, I'm really trying to limit my consumption), but it doesn't taste like chocolate (unlike dark chocolate).

Maybe an image makeover is what it needs?

Morgan the Muse said...

Uhm... B, I guess. With leanings toward C. Its just kind of cloying and too-something. I much prefer real chocolate, but white can be alright. I suppose.

hmla2599 said...

This American reader is quite a fan of white chocolate. Especially in the form of white chocolate macadamia nut cookies.

Alone, like in the white chocolate Lindor truffle, it's a once in a blue moon thing. For me, milk chocolate is a different type of craving than the White chocolate craving. They are both rich, but satisfy different taste buds.

Mysterg is my favorite.

mo.stoneskin said...

White chocolate is at the more sophisticated end of the chocolate spectrum. If you are unable to eat it all the time that means that...

Hunter said...

I'm going with B, but only because my wife loves white chocolate. I'm personally not much of a fan.

That being said, it's my understanding that it technically isn't chocolate at all. I know, blows your mind, right?

Oh, and congrats on the award. It's well deserved!

Mr O said...

I don't think I have ever had white chocolate by itself, but I can tell you that Hershey's Cookies and Cream is my favorite candy bar and that is the closest I have ever gotten

Soda and Candy said...

Scope - That's a good point, maybe if it was called, like, creamy deliciosa then people wouldn't be comparing it to chocolate and could enjoy it on its own merits.

Morgan - I think I know what you mean. It's not an everyday thing like regular chcoolate : )

Hannah - I agree with you about everything! Those cookies sound good, white chocolate is a B for me, and mysterg is awesome.

Mo - Ooh, the Emperor's New Chocolate? ; )

Hunter - Mind? Blown. Thanks!!!

Soda and Candy said...

Mr O - I like the Cookies & Cream!

BeckEye said...

I'd say B. I'm not sure why white chocolate isn't more popular here. Americans are racist, I guess.

SkylersDad said...

It's chocolate! That means it is the most perfect thing in the world...

Laura said...

I like me some white chocolate, though not as much as regular so it would probably be once and awhile for me. J'adore tien blog aussi!

FunnyGal KAT said...

I loooove white chocolate. So I guess my answer is "A." And I'm a fan of just plain white chocolate (so, not all Americans need it jazzed up to enjoy it).

Congrats on the award!

Soda and Candy said...

BeckEye - RACISTS!!! That's probably it.

SkyDad - You're not wrong.

Lola - I'm the same. Ooh la la!!! ; )

KAT - But where do you get your plain white chocolate from? I couldn't find any in the supermarket.

Trinity said...

White chocolate only works in small portions. Bars aren't feasible because it is not a flavor most people can take large bites of.

I like it with peppermint. They make some awesome candy cane Hersheys kisses at christmas and they rock.

miss. chief said...

D - because i like carob better than white chocolate

but my favorite is super dark 80% or above cocoa with a BEER on the side. mmm

i think white chocolate is almost obsolete here in canadaaah, from what i've seen anyway

Chris Gooch said...

I don't really like chocolate (don't hate me!).

As for the award, whilst I did share it around, I am very selective in what I read and cull blogs from my reader constantly. If you've made the cut and got an award too then you must be doing something right!

words...words...words... said...

I am firmly a "C".

And we don't like it because it's chocolate...without the chocolate. It's like ordering cheesecake and getting a hunk of graham cracker crust.

Soda and Candy said...

Trinity - Hmmm, white choc with peppermint. An interesting plan.

miss.chief - *makes sign of the cross* nooooo, how can you like carob better? That is just plain wrong, m'dear!

mysterg - never! as long as you like SOMETHING sugary, I can forgive. I mostly prefer chewy candies to chocolate myself. And thank you so much!!!

WWW - Fair enough. Did you know they don't even have graham crackers in Australia?

Anonymous said...

I've been away for a few days so I'm late to the party, but white chocolate is, in my opinion, the best chocolate of all. I love it. YUM!

And since my taste is supreme I rest my case.

Simon Butler said...

Answer: b). I like it, but find it too sweet and sickly to eat too much of in one go. I remember loving it when I was younger, but seem to have lost my sweet tooth over the years.

I’d say that it’s fairly popular in the UK – you certainly have no difficulty in getting it. But as Trinity said, it ‘only works in small portions’, which presumably accounts for the lower sales.

Soda and Candy said...

Veggie - Of course! I don't know why I didn't just ask you!
; )

Simon - You're right, it took me about 4 days to eat that small block of white, I could eat the same size block of milk chocolate in about one day.

Cora said...

Okay, I admit it, I used to loathe white chocolate. It tasted like NOTHING and had no business calling itself chocolate if you'd asked me.

But....

With my tonsilitis I've been fighting since July chocolate does NOT mix well with my meds. Eww. So, I've switched to white chocolate KitKats as my sugar fix. They've really grown on me. I'm really starting to become fond of those little white chocolate sticks. In fact, they're kinda cute. ;-)

Will I go back to regular chocolate post meds? I don't know. We'll just have to wait and see.

Soda and Candy said...

Cora - Oh, that's so strange! Does the medication affect your tastebuds?

The Imaginary Reviewer said...

Sorry I'm late. I'm a B. I wouldn't buy it to eat myself, but if I'm baking and I need some white chocolate, I'll go to the chocolatier down the road and get the really good stuff by weight and nibble a little.

Soda and Candy said...

TIR - You live down the road from a chocolatier??? Not fair!

Anonymous said...

I can't remember exactly, but I know that when I was a kid, either Hershey or Nestle sold this one particular white chocolate candy bar that was my absolute favorite. It was sorta like a Nestle Crunch bar (so maybe it was Nestle?), but with white chocolate. I remember being so pissed off when they stopped making it. I'm still angry it's gone. Just thinking back on it sorta makes my mouth water, actually.

Soda and Candy said...

Aw. I've felt that way about discontinued candy before. We used to have something similar to Skittles called Hooley Dooleys, but they were infinitely superior in flavor to Skittles. I was crushed when they stopped making them.