Friday, September 11, 2009

I like words and stuff.

two of my favorite words of the moment:

ineptitude
which I was very excited about as I thought I had invented it to mean the ability to be crap at everything, but in fact it turns out is already a word meaning the quality of being inept. I like it though as it is still the antithesis (ooh another good word!) of aptitude.

troglodyte
it means cave-dweller, and makes a good insult when you don't want to curse and would like to appear pompous.

26 comments:

Morgan the Muse said...

And if you feel like insulting a lazy person, call them an inept troglodyte. Gets them every time.

Cora said...

Troglodyte. I love it!! I'm sooooo going to use that one. MWAHAHAHA!!

Eric said...

Wasn't there an anti-motivational poster with 'Ineptitude' as a title? I heartily encourage daily use of this word. ;)

Cooper Green said...

Troglodyte gave us the Trogs, whose biggest hit was the 1960's anthem Wild Thing. And Ineptitude gave us Nickelback, who should probably just go back to waiting on tables.

sas said...

wow. i was just thinking yesterday that my lovely colleague is actually a troglodyte with a severe case of ineptitude.
thats like a jedi mind meld or something.

Little Ms Blogger said...

I've never used troglodyte, but love it.

Soda and Candy said...

Morgan - Oooh the double whammy!

Cora - Hehe, nice evil laugh!

Eric - I only wish I didn't have daily cause to use it.

Cooper - Hahahahahahahaa, perfect.

Sas - Ooh spooky!

Little Ms - It's a good one. Please feel free to use it at the next opportunty!

Scope said...

If that's a new word, than this is a new song and video, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlRXQEA0yj0

Lord, I am a horrible person today.

Anonymous said...

There was this game I used to play back when I had a PC and it had troglodytes in it... they were round ball-shaped monsters with spindly lizard-like legs and slimy skin, and they stabbed at things with spears.

Soda and Candy said...

Scope - That is bizarro.

Well Fed - You see, so it would be insulting to be called one of those!

Hunter said...

Hi, S&C. Here's a little ditty using your words...

The troglodyte returned home to find an empty cave. A stone tablet was resting at the entrance and all the furniture was gone. On the tablet was carved the following note:

Dear Jor,

I'm leaving you for many reasons. But mostly for your ineptitude at things like making fire and pleasing me in our straw-mat bed.

No longer yours,
Zola

Soda and Candy said...

Hunter - Ahahahaha, that is brilliant!

Madame DeFarge said...

These are good words, but I prefer numpty and glaikit. Work them into your conversation and you'll impress everyone.

Soda and Candy said...

Ooh, I like numpty. That's like idiot, right? But what does glaikit mean???

words...words...words... said...

I love using "troglodyte". Especially with "lumbering" in front of it.

Soda and Candy said...

WWW - Oooooh, that's a nice embellishment!

BeckEye said...

Inept troglodytes = most of the people in my office.

Soda and Candy said...

Beckeye - Silver lining - at least it's easy for you to shine!

rachaelgking said...

I ALWAYS want to appear pompous. *Files away*

Soda and Candy said...

It's such fun, is it not, my dear?
; )

Anonymous said...

Love it! Especially Zola's letter to Zor.

Soda and Candy said...

Spleeness - I know, Hunter is an annoyingly good storyteller!
; )

mo.stoneskin said...

I love the word "ineptitude", it describes everything about the country I live in!

Soda and Candy said...

Mo - Not at all, yours is the country that invented high tea!!!

Scope said...

"High Tea"? Is that what hippies make out of that "herb" that they sometimes put in brownies?

Soda and Candy said...

Scope - I wouldn't know anything about that!
: )