So we found out that the scritchy-scratching little bastard vermin in our roof is actually a squirrel.
Not just any squirrel. A momma squirrel with three tiny adorable babas in a leafy nest in the corner of our attic. They have big bobbly heads and tiny pathetic leafy tails, like cartoonish versions of the real thing.
Rats I don't mind trapping, and by trapping I mean killing with spring-loaded traps*. I don't want to do that to squirrels. I would chase them out of the roof and just board that sucker up so they couldn't get back in, but I don't want to chase Momma out because her little darlings aren't old enough to leave the nest yet so they can't go with her.
We've been advised that if we bother them a bit Momma may move them to a safer location, but for now we've just sectioned off that part of the attic.
Damn adorable, precious little bastards.
***
UPDATE: Momma has moved the babies - the squirrels have left the building! Now we just have to figure a way to keep them out...
*Can you tell I just discovered text sizing? heeheehee!
numer darowizny: SRTF/067/SWD .
1 month ago
24 comments:
Oh my Lord, you've got squirrels??? It's time for dynamite.
*watched a lot of cartoons as a kid*
*actually I watched a lot of cartoons last week too.*
Aw! It's really awesome that you're gonna let the squirrels stay. :)
Ah, the age old thing of cute rodents. You don't like them on principle but won't do anything about them because they are cute. That is a shame.
It's the cute ones that you have to look out for. Consider yourself warned. ;)
May I remind you they are rats with a big fuzzy tail and a better PR department?
Cowguy - If this was a cartoon, you could use all the dynamite you wanted, and in the next scene the squirrels would be fine. Either that or they'd outwit us somehow!
Sally-Sal - See? You understand.
Trinity - they're sooooooo cute though. I defy you to look a baby squirrel in the eye and then take negative action.
Hunter - I know, they'll blink their giant liquidy eyes at me and next thing I'll be covered in little bitey critters.
SkyDad - Hahahaa! But they eat nuts and stuff,not garbage. I'm sure they are much cleaner than rats.
Just remember, rodents spread the plague that killed more than half of people in the ancient world.
I wish my problem was getting squirrels. They're preferable to rats and roaches.
Eric - I'm faaaaaiiiirly sure squirrels weren't involved. Also, we're descended from the awesome survivors, so it's all good!
BeckEye - Infinitely preferable, I've had all three and I'd like to stick to squirrels thanks!
squirrels don't do anything bad, they are harmless. I keep them out by not letting them in!
That's nuts! Ba da boom...
Mr C - Exactly, harmless adorable babies. Once they're big enough we'll shoo them out and seal up the way they got in.
Mysterg - Hahahaha, nice!
I'd do the same thing. Vermin or not, they're cute BAAABIESSS!
Though I'd do the same for rat babies, too...
Uh-uh, rat babies get no love from me. well maybe a little. I did used to have pet rats a few years ago.
squirrels stink. They live in my attic, too. And right above my room. I can hear them running around at night. We got rid of them once, but squirrels are too smart and we can't figure out how they got back in since we blocked the entry last time. *shrugs*
Damn clever little beasties!
Well that was sweet of you to not chase them out/kill them.
You know rats are just squirrels in cuter outfits, right?
Though I actually don't have a huge problem with rats, either. I'm not sure what's wrong with me... I think the "fuzzy" throws me off.
CA - I am a soft touch apparently. : )
LiLu - I think you meant the other way round... It made me laugh to think of a little rat standing in front of a mirror doing up the buttons on his squirrel coat!
awwwww, if you're going to have vermin, at least it's cute.
Sweet as they are they are just as dirty as rats and have germs!!! Even Momma ones!!!
Glad they have left though, hope they find a nice new home.
Sam - Right? Important considerations.
M - I bet they have CUTE germs! But yeah, not *too* sad they're gone.
Haha, you said they eat nuts.
Yes, I'm twelve.
Just like your mom!
Oooooohhhh!!! BURN!
; )
Post a Comment