Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Word Power Wednesday.

I am a loquacious, lamentably lachrymose lady.

loquacious: (adj.) very talkative.
ETYMOLOGY: 17c: from Latin loquax, from loqui to speak.

lachrymose: (adj.) literary
1
prone to frequent bouts of crying; liable to cry without much provocation.
2
said of a novel, play, film, etc: very sad; likely to make someone cry.
lachrymosely adverb.
ETYMOLOGY: 17c: from Latin lacrima tear.

I really like these two words, not only because they are very descriptive of me but they are just impressive and good to say.

How would you describe yourself? In the most impressive, alliterative way, please.


(All definitions shamelessly purloined from the Chambers Online Dictionary)

14 comments:

f8hasit said...

I love the word loquacious as well. Although I've ceased using it as late, because I always seem to have to explain...

Love the Word Power Wed,
:-)

Laura said...

I am contumacious. (This word is currently hanging up in my office next to my computer).

Simon Butler said...

affable: (adj.) genial; good-humoured. Similar to laughable, but without the initial letter L.
asymmetrical: (adj.) not evenly proportioned around a central plane or axis. Unbalanced, either in the physical or mental sense.
ambivalent: (adj.) not able to summon the energy to look up a word in a dictionary.
atheistic: (adj.) unbelieving in the divine power of George W Bush.
aged: (adj.) of advanced years. Of a man, having a long white beard.

Soda and Candy said...

f8hasit - Thanks! Lousy dumbing down of society.

Lola - Great, now you know I'm going to have to look that one up don't you?!

Simon - Heh, laffable. Excellent definitions sir!

mo.stoneskin said...

One is a wonderfully wacky weirdo wearing white winter wellingtons with worryingly wide whooshes while whistling wishy-washy warbles where wise women waterski westwards wanting

*gasp*

whisky.

Soda and Candy said...

Mo - haha, wwwwwonderful!

words...words...words... said...

Silent and

Soda and Candy said...

WWW - That was brilliant, and

tennysoneehemingway said...

Studying makes me talk English gooder. Sorry, more gooder.

Soda and Candy said...

TeeH- That's better. *haughty sniff*

BeckEye said...

I actually knew what lachrymose meant, because I looked up the word "lachrymal" once after watching a Daffy Duck cartoon. (He's my hero, in case you don't know.) Elmer Fudd's dog was crying and Daffy said, "Why the copious flow of lachrymal fluid, my careless canine?" I still use "copious flow of lachrymal fluid" in place of "crying."

I love alliteration, but I can't think of words to describe myself. Sleepy, maybe. Sleepy and starving. Satisfied, soda?

Soda and Candy said...

Beck - Who says cartoons aren't educational? Also, sleepy & starving is me every day!!!

Cora said...

Egad! How'd I miss this post?! Somehow this one flew under my radar.

So, what were we walking about? Oh, right! Describing myself in a way to make the neighbors go "....huh?!" Uhh, let's see....

I'm something somewhere inbetween a demonic declasse denigrated demimonde on a declivity and a decorous delectable demure dame.

Yeah.

Soda and Candy said...

Haha, brilliant Cora!