Monday, April 6, 2009

I'm totally doing it for the environment.

They stopped purchasing the large size styrofoam cups at work*, so I have been using the same one for about three weeks now.

It has nasty elderly soda-stains in it (and is all scratched & chewed**), but I can't get rid of it, because the alternatives are:

Drink my soda at room temperature: UNACCEPTABLE.

Violently jam giant ice-cubes through the tiny hole in the top of the can: IMPOSSIBLE.

Buy chilled, gouge-a-riffic, non-generic soda from the soda machine: UNACCEPTABLE.

Drink tiny fairy-portions of soda from the water-cooler cups: UNACCEPTABLE.


I'm pretty sure this cup is giving me tuberculosis.



*Yet another thing to blame the economy for.

** S&C, why is your styrofoam cup all chewed and bitten at the top?
Shut up, that's why.

17 comments:

words...words...words... said...

"Shut up, that's why!" is a new rhetorical tactic that I had not thought of. I'm putting it in the rotation.

Before you get consumption, why don't you just bring a cup from home that you designate your "work cup"? Then you can wash it and everything.

Scope said...

Can you bring your own cup from home? I use a giant one shaped like a tiki.

Twinkie said...

heeeee. Because SHUT UP that's why. I'm soooo stealing that too!

Anonymous said...

Finally, someone who GETS it. Soda is a delicate force. It must be THE CORRECT CHILLEDNESS and drunk from the correct vessel. I had a friend who drank soda from a coffee mug and I was so disgusted I almost disowned him. I wanted to shove that coffee mug right up his arse till it came out the other end making sense.

Soda and Candy said...

Words & Scope - Good idea. I think it will be a pink glitter thermos.

Twinkie - you're welcome!

mo.stoneskin said...

Violently jam giant ice-cubes through the tiny hole in the top of the can: IMPOSSIBLE.

What about violently smashing giant ice-cubes, then painstakingly feed the little bits through the tiny hole giving yourself eye strain?

Soda and Candy said...

Veg Assassin - Haha, you're so right. Drinking soda out of a coffee mug ought to be punishable by torture.

Mo - Heh. Funnily enough I never though of that option!

Candy's daily Dandy said...

Not buying styrofoam cups is a cheap attempt at cutting costs and going green.

Be careful, the next thing they'll be cutting costs on is the toilet paper.

Soda and Candy said...

Candy - Oh lord, if they cut the budget any lower on that we'll be using old newspapers!

; )

rachaelgking said...

They won't provide you with cups? Fine. Then I think you should be able to bring in whatever kind you want...

http://www.marieclaire.com/cm/marieclaire/images/penis%20thermos.gif

Soda and Candy said...

Lilu, you dirty, dirty girl!

Andy - Instafather said...

Tomorrow's post: "Blogger gets strange Oregon Trail disease from used cup."

MJenks said...

You can try cleaning it. Nail polish remover will do wonders at getting stains from styrofoam. Also, it has a low boiling point, so it will evaporate overnight!

Sam_I_am said...

I have this awesome 52 ounce insulated mug and it only cost 98 cents to fill it up at a chain convenience store here, called Sheetz. It is amazing, but I use it so often that I'm sure it has poor hygiene.

We have huge Styrofoam cups at work, you should swing by and pick one up on your way to work. lol. :-)

Soda and Candy said...

Oh Andy, you and your Oregon Trail...

MJenks - Ah huh sure. Doesn't acetone liquefy styrofoam?

Sam - Yeah, I think I need my own sippy cup. I'm sure I'll clean it...
: P

Anonymous said...

They have these amazing things called "travel mugs" that you can reuse and stuff. And the best part is they don't hold diseases and cancerous organisms and the like. And they don't alienate your co-workers.

Oh and yes, drinking anything at room temperature is dis-gust-ing.

Nej said...

We have a woman at work that can only drink soda from glass glasses, not from the can or a paper cup. Coffee mugs are right out as well.

I rarely get a soda at work any more....but when I do, I'll get a can, set it on my desk, and drink from that can all day....room temperature.