Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Soda Fountain of Knowledge (Kulcha Edition): Snugglepot & Cuddlepie

***Cultural Acclimatization Needed: Read this post first.***


When I was a small child, some of my favorite books featured two little blokes who could not have been dreamed of in any country but Australia.

I'd like to introduce you to Snugglepot and Cuddlepie, the most adorable characters in Australian children's literature*.


(They're the two in the front of the gumleaf-toboggan).

Gumnut** hats? Check.

Nuding it up with adorable blossom-skirted girlfriends? Check.

Riding down a gumtree branch on a gumleaf???!!! Check. They are Gumnut Babies, after all.

Although I admit I didn't remember them being quite so fat, Snugglepot & Cuddlepie are ovary-clenchingly adorable.

I would post a ton more pictures here, but I don't want to mess with copyright & stuff. Here is a pretty good site with some illustrations showing their dread enemy the Banksia Man, an adorable gumleaf house, the kangaroo cab-stand and so on.

The author, May Gibbs, did a fantastic job of weaving real Australiana into her stories.
This page, for instance, shows the Gumnut Babies looking at secondhand houses, which are actually cases which are really constructed by real grubs in Australia. We used to see them hanging off the outside walls of the house sometimes. I think the grubs cast off these cases and make new ones as they get bigger.
This page gets its inspiration from a tree called the scribbly-bark gum (here's a real one I found on Flickr). The scribbles on the bark are made by insect larvae burrowing between the layers of bark, but of course in the book, it's really the Gumnut Babies.

The stories might not carry as many levels of meaning for non-Australians, but they're still absolutely charming. I think it's partly because of the era they're from (the first book was published in 1918), but they still work today - they're just adorable and timeless.


*I won't say they're the most Australian, because even though they're totally Oz, they're no match for Albert the Magic Pudding, who will be the subject of a future post.

**For those of you unfamiliar with gumnuts, they are the hard woody fruit of the eucalyptus tree. They come in a few different shapes & sizes, but they're all sort of like little cups.

14 comments:

Kurt said...

Tiny people make me sweat in weird places.

Alyssa said...

oh i loved snuggle pot and cuddle pie! i should go and dig out all my books :)

Anonymous said...

I love those names! They're hilarious.

Soda and Candy said...

Kurt - Cammaaaaan, they're adorbski, admit it. Otherwise they will find you while you sleep and stick gumleaves in your ears.

Al - *gasp* another Aussie? welcome, mate!
; )

Catherinette - Now you see why I had to explain about snuggling & cuddling.

mo.stoneskin said...

Seeing those chubby Gemnut babies with their girls makes me feel something was missing from my childhood. I would like to have been a Gumnut baby. Is it too late?

Eric said...

Thanks for sharing and for easing us into the snuggle/cuddle terminology.

The characters are vaguely reminiscent of the 'Love Is' cartoon, but there are more of them and hopefully, they are more platonic.

Morgan the Muse said...

Albert the Magic Pudding? He sounds more awesomer than these guys, just saying. I mean, he sounds more my style. But the naked babies was never up my street. All the same, they are quite cute.

rachaelgking said...

They kind of really creep me out... like the little dolls on the "It's A Small World" ride in Disney World...

No? Just me? Oh well.

Soda and Candy said...

Mo - They do lead a pretty sweet life apart from occasionally being eaten by goannas.

Eric - Yes, these stories are written for very small children and they're very very innocent. All the nudity notwithstanding.

Morgan - Maybe so, keep a lookout here, the Magic Pudding will turn up soon.

Lilu - But they're adorable! You really need the stories for context. But yeah those Small World dolls are creepy with their dead eyes.

tennysoneehemingway said...

Now that takes me back to primary school!

words...words...words... said...

I like that they're naked except for wearing what appears to be acorns on their heads. It's a bold statement.

I also add my voice to the chorus clamoring for Albert The Magic Pudding. Nothing with that name can be anything but 100% awesome.

Soda and Candy said...

Tenny - I love that you said "primary school".

WWW - Um, duh, they're GUMNUTS. Not acorns. And the Magic Pudding post is on its way.

Bea said...

i love snugglepot and cuddlepie. i have a massive book of all the stories, seen tthe musical twice and i own the cd. yea, i'm a hardcore fan lol. though it did freak me out as a child, to see them all in the nud.

I was always weirded out by the Magic Pudding. he looked so grumpy all the time.

Soda and Candy said...

Me, Amped - Awww... My granny used to read the Snugglepot & Cuddlepie stories to me when I was little. I love them dearly.