Thursday, May 21, 2009

Fun Size: Jaywalking.

I'm adding a new category for super short posts:Fun Size.
GET IT???? Like the candy.

Like eighty percent of the people I see jaywalking are severely physically disabled.
It's always some dude in crutches or those fancy arm-sticks* hopping awkwardly across the street, or in a wheelchair or one of those Fat Person Scooters dawdling down the bike lane. These are the people who should be the most careful getting in front of moving vehicles!

Has anyone else noticed this?


*I don't know what they're called but you know what I'm talking about right?

14 comments:

words...words...words... said...

YES. My theory is that they think since they're disabled, that the world needs to stop turning for them no matter what the traffic laws say.

Anonymous said...

Dude....yes! That's true. Or usually I find it's some doddery really old person who's trembling like a jelly, hobbling across with two shopping bags. I once watched an old lady doing this through two light changes. I was waiting for her to get to the curb then give us all the finger. I say compromise their pensions and buy them all roller skates with the withheld portion. Not only would it make them faster it would entertain the SHIT out of me.

Scope said...

Actually, I live in Chicago. It's like a a game of Frogger come to life. People just cross when / where they want.

Soda and Candy said...

Ha! I knew I was right.

WWW- just like the old ladies that viciously push everyone out of the way in order to get to the privileged elderly person seats!

Veg - Hahahahaha, yes! Medicare should provide them all with rollerskates.... oh, but if they fall over their hips will crumble.

Scope - heh. Yes, I'm familiar with the way of the big-city pedestrian. I like to stare the cars down as they approach - "I know you didn't just try not to let me go in front of you."

Mr. Condescending said...

most of the people in crutches and stuff are idiots. thats why they do it.

mo.stoneskin said...

Fat Person Scooters? I don't think we get them over here. Old person scooters perhaps. But yeah, you're right, I see a lot of people (elderly especially) trying to cross busy roads when they should be the least likely to! Maybe it is excitement they are after.

Eric said...

Very interesting Soda! :)

I don't know, in Dallas if they step off the curb, they get hit pretty much right away.

The other end of the spectrum seems to be San Diego (and Chicago like Scope mentioned).

tennysoneehemingway said...

Yeah I've noticed it too. And when you come towards them, at a legitimate speed, they look at you as though there's a stop light that you haven't seen.

Anonymous said...

My home town is the silly walk capital of the UK. Loping, shuffling, shambling - they're all clearly evident everywhere you go.

Alex the Girl said...

They are cheater heads. They also make me feel weird about waiting for the "it's your turn to walk now" sign. I'm like, should I do it like they are or should I just wait cos I know I'll be the one to get the geeky jaywalking ticket.

Soda and Candy said...

Mr Condescending - Ah, it could be how they ended up disabled in the first place!

Mo - Yes, Fat Person Scooters. And here I am walking for myself like a sucker!

Eric - Haha, I don't remember Dallas being like that, but I was only there for about half a day.

Tenny - yes, the indignant stare. "Can't you see I'm DISABLED!!!"

Mr London Street - Haha, Silly Walks. Excellent.

Scope said...

You so didn't use that Simpson's quote! I use it A LOT. Along with the similar exchange:

Homer: Hey, what's Lucky joined up to?

Woman: It's a machine that breaths for him.

Homer: And here I am using my own lungs like a sucker.

Yeah, I use it when ever I see someone with an O2 tank. 'Cuz I'm classy like that.

Soda and Candy said...

Scope - Hahahaa. Actually, it's a rare occasion if I CAN'T think of an appropriate Simpsons quote.

Nej said...

LOVE the fun size naming!!! :-)

Unfortunately, I've seen first hand what you're talking about. There is an assisted living facility near my house...for people with...um...living challenges. Allot of the fancy "arm sticks" and motorized scooters.

Last year, there was a streak of motor vehicular "incidents" in the area. I think everyone ended up surviving...but it's still unnerving to drive by an accident scene, when all that's left is a 4x4 with a busted grill and a smashed flat scooter in the middle of the street. :-(