Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Soda Fountain of... Soda?


Dr Pepper Cherry: A Review.


At first glance, we see only that Dr Pepper Cherry has a slightly more crimson-infused hue than its parent soda, hinting at the subtle differences to come.

Dr Pepper Cherry has an exciting yet not overpowering fizziness on the tongue, and a sweet, almost syrupy aftertaste. Top notes of dark, plump cherries and Red #40 proclaim a slightly different terroir from the original Dr Pepper - perhaps a different section of the factory? - while familiar undertones of smooth caramel, ripe plums, sunshine and high fructose corn syrup delight the palate.

While certainly a pleasant beverage, Dr Pepper Cherry varies so little from the original variety that this reviewer was left wondering why they discontinued the infinitely superior Dr Pepper Black Cherry Vanilla only to start churning out this pale imitation.

25 comments:

Dr Zibbs said...

I'm gonna try one of these today.

Mr. Condescending said...

They discontinued black cherry vanilla?

Anna Russell said...

Oh great, now I want a Dr Pepper!

Alex the Girl said...

I am in total agreement with you, although in the Diet Dr. Pepper category. The Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper is a nice change from regular Diet Dr. Pepper, but it definately pales in comparison to Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper. According to one sales representative, he stated that the Dr. Pepper Company was still making the Cherry Vanilla version, but the decision to offer these goods up for sale was left up to the bottlers/distributers.

FunnyGal KAT said...

I don't drink diet soda, but my sister convinced me to have a Diet Dr. Pepper Cherry when I was visiting her and I liked it a lot. It didn't have that fake sweetener taste I usually hate in diet sodas. I don't usually drink Dr. Pepper, but I thought the tastes were very similar, too.

Soda and Candy said...

Zibbs - It's worth a try, for sure.

Mr C - It's still available in diet, but it's not to be found anywhere in regular.

Anna - Do they have it in Scotland? They had it in Australia for a while and I believe you can still get it some places, but generally Australians tend to hate it.

Alex - Ugh, I can't stand diet stuff... which probably explains this little belly I'm getting.

FunnyGal KAT - It's better than a lot of diet sodas I guess but I'd still rather the regular version.

words...words...words... said...

While you are clearly an accomplished soda sommelier, I feel that you omitted the defining characteristic of Dr. Pepper Cherry - its bold insouciance. This is a soda that announces its presence like a clanging bell.

What food pairings do you recommend?

Morgan the Muse said...

Hmm... that seems like a valid question. I mean, I do not drink Dr. Pepper, but I can understand how annoying it would be to lose one for the other. Bleh.

mo.stoneskin said...

I think I vaguely remember that cherry vanilla one, but it's all a blur, maybe I just dreamt of it. A nice dream or memory, that's for sure.

SkylersDad said...

The important question is how did it mix with Vodka?

Cora said...

I don't drink soda. There, I said it. You hate me now, don't you?

*sniffle*

I do eat lots of candy though. Does that make things better?

Soda and Candy said...

WWW - True, this was not an extensive review, but I've only had one glass so far. Perhaps further nuances will reveal themselves upon additional tasting. As for food pairings I recommend classic American fare such as cheeseburgers & fries. But then that might just be because that's what I like eating.

Morgan - It IS annoying. Especially since they kept it in the diet version, it's taunting me!

Mo - a wonderful dream indeed.

Skylers Dad - That I don't know yet, I bet it's brilliant though.

Cora - Not at all, more for me. Plus, I live in the glassiest house of all when it comes to throwing stones at people for disliking food or drinks, because I'm picky as hell. And... yay candy!

Eric said...

We take our Dr. Pepper real serious like round these parts... At Holdem tournaments at my place we typically do Dr. Pepper & Crown (sounds gross, but surprisingly great). Sad to lose a good member of the Dr's family.

Soda and Candy said...

What's Crown, isn't that beer? That does sound really gross.

/judgey mcjudgerson

words...words...words... said...

It's scotch, Judgy.

Eric said...

Oh, sorry. It's short for 'Crown Royal Canadian Whiskey'... Mighty tasty when playing cards.

Mr. Condescending said...

I prefer drinking a drambouie whilst playing whist.

Soda and Candy said...

WWW - Thanks, Buttinsky McNoseypants.
; )

Eric - It's an interesting plan... I prefer my alcoholic beverages to taste like... well... non-alcoholic beverages. I think Skyler's Dad was right on with the voddy.

tennysoneehemingway said...

I've tried, tried, tried to like Dr. Pepper but I just can't do it. I know, I'm a failure. A FAILURE I TELL YOU!!!

Bea said...

i like mountain dew best

*raises hands to fend of the rocks*

Soda and Candy said...

Tenny - It's the Australian way I'm afraid. I suppose you like Vegemite?

Me, Amped - I enjoy Mountain Dew sometimes, unlike Homer.
; )

Char said...

I drink plain old Diet Dr Pepper all the time. (I only drink Diet Coke with The Captain.) I tried a vanilla DP one time ....phew!

Soda and Candy said...

You wacky diet soda drinkers!

tennysoneehemingway said...

Vegemite - now THERE'S a drink I can embrace!

Soda and Candy said...

Tennyson - Bleurgh. I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.