Friday, May 22, 2009

Fun Size Over to You: Calling Miss Manners.

When two gentlemen are introduced, they shake hands.

When a lady and a gentleman are introduced, they might shake hands or they might skip it.

But when two ladies are introduced, is it weird to shake hands? I thought not, but I've been given a few withering-wet-fish-style hands by other ladies* recently and I'm beginning to wonder if it's because we're not supposed to shake hands.

What say you, blogosphere?



*Also, Southern women all have freakishly small soft hands. What's up with that?

15 comments:

Eric said...

Around these parts, it depends on context I think. But, I definitely laugh when I see two women doing a fist bump to say hello.

God said...

I believe it's customary for women to grab each others breasts and kiss longingly.

Depends on where you are though.

MJenks said...

They soak their hands in palmolive to make them softer and more supple.

You will find many a man married to a southern lady who will not complain a lick about that soft, supple flesh.

Soda and Candy said...

Eric - I do fist bumps and high fives, bu not when I'm JUST being introduced to someone.

God - *rolls eyes* I knew someone would go there.

mjenks - Palmolive? Isn't that dish detergent?

Shawn said...

I would think shaking hands is correct. You know what gets my eyes rolling? Guys who feel the need to kiss the girl's hand upon meeting. Who are you, Errol Flynn? Give me a break.

tennysoneehemingway said...

Do whatever feels comfortable I suppose. As a guy, I've received plenty of wet fish handshakes from other guys and I'll tell ya, nothing puts me off quicker. Shake hands buddy, you won't catch anything!

SkylersDad said...

I think everyone should shake hands, it's just polite. If somebody doesn't want to shake, I immediately think germ-a-phobe! and sneeze on them.

Soda and Candy said...

Shawn - Euw, I would snatch my hand away from such an oily gesture.

Tennyson - It's unpleasant, isn't it?

SkyDad - LOL, "immediately sneeze on them" - it's the right thing to do.

Mr. Condescending said...

i agree with erics comment!!

words...words...words... said...

Now that women have nearly become equal in society, everyone should shake. I concede that it looks a tiny bit strange, but I think it's the right thing.

Dr Zibbs said...

That's a good question. You're supposed to shakehands if in a business situation but in others I'm not sure.

Best to play it safe and just kiss.

Soda and Candy said...

Mr Condescending - Yes, but you would say that. /terrible condescension joke

WWW - tell them to stop giving me the dead fish then!!!

Zibbs - I'm not kissing someone I've just met! Who knows where the filthy trollop has been?

Wendy said...

Ew, I don't really like shaking women's hands. They don't really shake much here where I live and when women do shake hands they are usually terrible at it. I especially hate the ones that give you the front half of their fingers as if you were going to kiss their hand or something -- like a sideways handshake sort of. I don't know how to describe it, but it's terrible.

The other horrible one is the one you described -- the dead fish one. Oy. I can't decide which is worse.

The other handshaking peeve I have is the big guy (usually an old guy) who is from the school of the "firm handshake" that makes you fall to your knees and squeal like a little girl. Come on now... I'm 5'4" if I elongate my spine a little -- do you really think you need to squeeze my hand like you're trying to keep ahold of a fish that's about to get away? Firm does not mean CRUSHING.

Okay, sorry, I wrote a whole blog post in my comment.

But one more thing -- everywhere I go Shawn from the shark tank has already been here. How is he possibly stalking me backwards like that?

Soda and Candy said...

Hi Wendy! I'm a comment rambler too, think nothing of it.

Yes, women here don't seem to "get"shaking hands. But I don't want to seem unfriendly for not trying! It's a dilemma.

Nej said...

I always shake hands with other women in business situations....but even then, I often get the limp-wristed, fingertip hand shake.

Actually, I get the same thing from men...more than you can imagine.

Sometimes I just get the "what the hell are you doing, women don't shake hands" look. From both sexes. :-)