Monday, May 25, 2009

Soda Fountain of Knowledge (Language Edition): Snuggling & Cuddling

In preparation for my next post, I need my non-Australian readers to be aware that in Australia, snuggling and cuddling are quite innocent and do not have any sexual connotation*. I make mention of this because in the past I have made a couple of (male) Americans confused and defensive by suggesting that one give the other a cuddle.

You might snuggle up on the couch with a loved one, watching Survivor. All you're doing is lying there nice and close for comfort. No funny business is going on.

I think a cuddle is pretty much the same as a hug except longer and more personal. You would probably only cuddle someone you know very well.

Do my Aussie readers have anything to add to these definitions?


*Unless you are saying it in a meaningful voice with much raising of eyebrows. Context is everything.

27 comments:

SkylersDad said...

(In my best Crocodile Dundee voice...)

That's not a snuggle, now THIS is a snuggle!

Soda and Candy said...

hahahahahahhaah

You might just win comment of the day and you're the only one on this post!!!

Everyone else, step your game up! (But keep it clean)

Mr. Condescending said...

but do you have snuggies!?

and skylersdad, that was perfect.

Shawn said...

To be fair, they might not have misinterpreted. Simply suggesting two men hug might have been enough for nervous looks all around.

Morgan the Muse said...

hmm... this post has me confused, but then... the comments don't help... oh, forget it.

Soda and Candy said...

Mr C - The nappies/diapers? I think so. Although I want to say they're called Huggies in Australia. Not sure, since I don't spend time in the baby aisle in either country.

Shawn - Yes, you definitely have a point, but they also made sure I knew what I'd suggested.

Morgan - What's confusing?

rachaelgking said...

"*Unless you are saying it in a meaningful voice with much raising of eyebrows. Context is everything."

Wait wait, it can only be ONE eyebrow raised. Unless you're alternating... this is getting complicated.

Soda and Candy said...

LiLu - Don't be so elitist! Some people can't do the one eyebrow raise, okay? Not me though, I have the one-brow-arched look down.

; )

Mr. Condescending said...

S&C, the snuggie is an american invention that is being touted on tv late at night. Its basically a soft blanket that has sleeves built in and a hold for your head in it. Its pretty funny, google it sometime.

Soda and Candy said...

Oh der, of course I know the Snuggie. How silly of me!!!

Esmé Glass said...

I always think of cuddling as being innocent and snuggling as being post-coital. But I am also more than a little crazy, so there's that.

Also, I just read the post about shaking hands. I always shake people's hands when I meet them! I dunnno, I guess I like physical contact with strangers?

Eric said...

Is it all that wrong to shake hands while cuddling or snuggling?

Anna Russell said...

Same here in Scotland. Snuggles are for movie watching in a spoon-y type position and cuddles are just nice hugs.
Shagging, on the other hand, is a whole other story.

Soda and Candy said...

Racquel - Ah yes, but would you snuggle with a stranger?

Eric - You might find it physically difficult to shake hands while you've your arms around each other...

Anna - Hahahaha, yes. What about pashing? Do they pash in Scotland & England, or is that just Aussie?

Anonymous said...

You might also point out that "shagging" is nothing to do with hitting baseballs and the old "fanny" thing again. Because those can get you in lots of trouble. Falling on your fanny is virtually impossible outside of the U.S.

Do Aussies really use the following:

1) Pash
2) Dag
3) Cobber

Inquiring minds want to know.

Anonymous said...

Of course, I could've read your comments before leaving mine then I wouldn't like a plagiarizing asshole.

I watched too much "Home and Away" as a teen.

Soda and Candy said...

Veg - Plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery.

I didn't know shagging was anything to do with baseball.

Yes to 1 and 2, no to 3. Unless MAYBE they still do out in the country, but I don't think so.

Char said...

Anything can happen out in the country. I hear there's a lot of shagging that goes on way out in the sticks. I think it started out with just cuddling and and snuggling.

Scope said...

I've I've viewed "Snuggling" as sort of "passive/aggressive" romantic. You want to have the physical contact, but don't have the energy, or intention to go further.

"Cuddling" has always been a tad more "aggressive/passive" with a little romantic "slap & tickle" thrown in.

And email me with your birthday info, so I can see if I can come up with a post for ya.

Soda and Candy said...

Char - Isn't shagging some kind of old folks beach dancing here in the South? I giggle whenever they talk about it.

Scope - Hmm, interesting definitions. And don't worry, my birthday is ages away but I'm sure to promote it relentlessly on this here blog.

tennysoneehemingway said...

I always thought snuggling was pre-sex and cuddling was post. But maybe that's me.

Soda and Candy said...

Tenny - Haha, possibly so.

Just because they can be innocent doesn't mean they always are.

Bea said...

snuggling is cuddling for bf/gf. lol. i explain a cuddle as a bear hug. haha, i googled the word cobber, i am so using that from now on...

mo.stoneskin said...

I agree with those definitions, though I think that generally a cuddle is a bit more likely to lead to 'funny business' than a snuggle. Of course both could do, and I certainly wouldn't cuddle or snuggle any of my male friends!

Soda and Candy said...

Me, Amped - Yeah! Bring "cobber" back. Also, "see ya round like a rissole"!

Mo - Yes, I know, you're too macho for that...

words...words...words... said...

No matter which of the myriad definitions used here is correct, I ain't doing either of these with anyone I'm not dating or trying to date.

/prude

Soda and Candy said...

heh, "trying to date". I like it.