Thursday, March 5, 2009

Can We Talk About: Geico ads

Geico had a perfectly serviceable ad campaign with that adorable Cockney lizard, and then they go & raise my hackles with this annoying, pseudo-surrealist nonsense with a sentient, googly-eyed money stack that appears to be stalking people. And it's not just one misguided ad either. They appear to have produced a whole series of this dreck.

Stick with the gecko, guys. We don't want a repeat of the caveman fiasco.

15 comments:

Andy - Instafather said...

I don't understand the stack of money. It's creepy, and it doesn't make me like Geico- and I use Geico! The eyeballs follow me when I drive by the billboards, like an old haunted painting.

Soda and Candy said...

Hahhaa, I'm glad I haven't seen the billboards! I wonder if they'll make anyone crash!

PS - welcome to my blog!

: )

Candy's daily Dandy said...

The little green gekko is awfully adorable, with his little Aussie accent and all.
The money with eyes;not so much. It's like McDonalds trying to out the golden arches. The gekko is synonomous with Geico.

Thanks for stopping by my blog:)
Welcome to the sphere!

FunnyGal KAT said...

I'm convinced that Geico switched to the stupid money campaign to save money in a bad economy. It's got to be so much cheaper to have some inanimate stack of cash with freaky eyes than to pay for the animation and voice-over for the gecko. But the commercials are terrible (not as bad as the ads for onlinebootycall.com-- which a real company!-- but bad nonetheless...)

Thanks for the Obama link you left in my comments-- that was too funny!

Esmé Glass said...

I didn't understand the wad of money with eyes the first few times I saw it. They really need to dumb it down a few shades for us plebs.

Soda and Candy said...

FunnyGal Kat - That is a really good point! I never thought of that. Those cheap bastards! (PS - you're welcome, thanks for coming to check me out!)

Racquel - Oh no, are you saying we're just too lowbrow to get it?

Soda and Candy said...

Oh and Candy - Thanks to you for coming by! But I must tell you the gecko is British not Australian!

words...words...words... said...

I haven't seen the wad of money commercials yet, but I suspect the gecko asked for too much money and they let him walk.

Tash said...

The Geico Gecko was only wanting in Cockney Rhyming Slang. He could've ruled the insurance world if he busted those out.

Brandon Szuminsky said...

Is it bad that I like the wad of money commercials? (Or at least "somebody's waaaaatching meeeeee"?)
I'm just impressed that Geico is the only company with, oh, 3 mascots/brand identities.

Sass said...

I can't stand the money stacks. I don't get it...and when I see it, I shake my head and say, "I don't get it."

This comment is causing the same reaction...lol.

Soda and Candy said...

Welcome guys!

WWW - Effing lizard divas, they're all the same!

TishTash - You are so right. Rhyming slang rules.

Brandon - No, I find myself singing that song too. Unfortunately, the only bit I know is the bit from the ad, which probably makes me a candidate for strangling after about five minutes!

Sass - Not at all, I understand your comment perfectly!!! The ads, not so much.

Gwen said...

Haven't seen it either but it must be working because y'all are talking about geico. ;)

Soda and Candy said...

Ah, but I'm the kind of consumer who bars companies based on hating their ads.

I'm not sure I believe the old saying "No publicity is bad publicity"...

; )

Anonymous said...

I've been raising my fist at these new ads for a while. I'm totally with you. Screw them.

Unfortunately, I have to disagree with you on one thing, though... the Cavemen were hilarious. The Gecko was cool, too, but the Cavemen were dope.