yobbo: (n). Aust.
Loutish blue-collar person. Often found at pubs and sporting events. Enjoys shouting, bullying, pushing, cutting in line and demanding to be served alcohol whilst clearly intoxicated.
Note: You may have gathered this by now, but Soda & Candy grew up in Australia. She now lives in the United States of America, and enjoys talking about herself in the third person.
The name of this blog, while referring to two of Soda & Candy's favorite things, derives from the fact that American English is not her first language, and so she derives an inordinate amount of glee from referring to things by their American names. Americans, on the other hand, seem to derive an equal amount of glee from learning the Australian words for things. Soda & Candy enjoys this about Americans and encourages their enthusiasm wherever possible.
numer darowizny: SRTF/067/SWD .
1 month ago
12 comments:
You know, that word really fits the description.
Also, people who talk in the third person are awesome.
What do they call a blue collar girl who just likes shouting and demanding more alcohol, without the bullying and cutting in line? I, uh, I'm asking for a friend.
Pittsburgh is full of yobbos, but not so much the bullying part. It's nice to have you around, S&C.
I always learned the word "yobbo" as something large, round, found in pairs and usually occupying sweaters of females.
WWW - Soda & Candy agrees with you.
BeckEye - They call her "luv"!
Sam - Welcome & thanks! Yobbos don't HAVE to be bullies, but they can be. You should call the Pittsburgh ones yobbos, they won't have any idea what you're saying!
mjenks - Really??? Or do you just think any vaguely nonsense-sounding word refers to those?
Australian, American; obnoxious drunks are all the same- I believe the proper term would be:A**HOLE.
Translates well in all languages.
Haha Candy, I'm pretty sure you're right, there's not too many people who don't know what THAT means!!!
I think I am going to have to start referring to more people as yobbos from now on.
Ooh! I just learned a new word to call my ex-father-in-law behind his back1 Score!!
I'm with jenks on this one. Makes me think of yabbos which I'm still tryinf to grow.
Jess, Cora - You're welcome. New insults are always useful, huh?
Tish - Yabbos? I have seriously never heard that one. I think my favorite euphemism for those is gazungas.
gazungas sounds like a girl with a lot of courage.. as in "She has big gazungas!" gazungas being balls.
yobbo to me sounds like a meathead. But Yobbo sounds funnier so I'm going to use it! Thanks for the new word!
Post a Comment