Saturday, March 28, 2009

Soda Fountain of Knowledge (Language Edition): Torch

torch: (n.) Aust.

A hand-held electric light, usually battery operated.

Commonly referred to in North America as a flashlight.

Notes: To North Americans, a torch is a flaming stick usually used by members of an angry mob on the lookout for Frankenstein's monster. Thusly, consternation is caused among Americans when an Australian casually mentions that they need a torch to look for something. Right, husband?

10 comments:

mo.stoneskin said...

Flashlight is clearly wrong. Sure, you can flash a torch, but you can't find anything if you do that can you?! ;)

Kurt said...

I KNEW this one. See? It's not all wallabies and G'day mates!

MJenks said...

Well, we might do a double-take upon the mention of "torch"...however, we do get a bit fearful when people go for the pitchforks.

Steam Me Up, Kid said...

This puts a new spin on our expression, "carrying a torch" for someone, meaning harboring a long-held love. Carrying a flashlight for someone isn't nearly as romantic, unless you have to go down into the basement to check the power box and you're hiding behind their back as you walk down the stairs together because basements are scary. That's kind of romantic.

words...words...words... said...

It certainly makes "torching the Italian restaurant for the insurance money" make a lot less sense.

Soda and Candy said...

Mo - Plus, you might induce seizures.

Kurt - Just mostly wallabies.

Mjenks - hahaha! Very wise.

SMU Kid - Welcome! Yes, I must say I don't think carrying a flashlight for someone has the same ring to it.

WWW - Haha, yeahhhhh... don't think it would work as well.

Twinkie said...

hahaha.... loved the post but the comments from your readers cracked me the hell up too. tee hee...

Diane said...

I was raised in the US but the rest of my family lives in England, Scotland, New Zealand, and Oz. I LOVE these sorts of language 'issues' (and encounter them often ;)

I remember, when I was about 23, the light finally dawning... I couldn't understand why my cousin was angry so often, as he's normally so good-natured. Then I realized that 'pissed' meant 'drunk' and not 'angry' (and probably why he was so good natured ;)

Soda and Candy said...

Haha Diane - Wow, your family diaspora is bigger than mine!

Twinkie said...

diane, I love being pissed! LOL ;)