doona: (n.) Aust.
A padded bed covering to go on top of bedsheets. Also called a quilt, but is thicker than the traditionally handmade type of quilt.
Commonly referred to in Britain as a duvet, and in North America as a comforter.
Wikipedia offers us this explanation for the etymology of doona (link to full entry here):
In Australia, a duvet or down quilt is often called a "Doona", which is a genericized trademark (registered to the Tontine Group) which is derived from the equivalent common Scandinavian term dyne and popularized by the retailer IKEA in the 1970s. Originally the term continental quilt was the standard name used across Australia, and some regions continue to use this term.
numer darowizny: SRTF/067/SWD .
1 month ago
12 comments:
Ah, so "doona" is a generonym. Nice to know.
Generonym?
Now I'm learning words from you! I like that one.
I think I'll stick with calling mine a duvet!
It just sounds like Donna, which reminds me of an annoying friend I used to have. I'll stick to calling mine a comforter.
I am so adding that to my Scrabble list..
There are some days that I just want to be left alone with my doona...Ahhhh.
Mo - I shall allow that, because you're British.
BeckEye - Heh. We all have things like that. Names your spouse bans you from using because of this one kid he hated in 8th grade...
kel - I miss Scrabble. My dog ate our set.
Candy - Amen sister. I call them Sundays.
I'm with Mo. I'll stick to Duvet.
I sleep standing up with my eyes open.
I don't usually use blankets.
Doona makes me think of Lorna Doone cookies and you shouldn't eat cookies in bed, so I'm going to stick to comforter.
Imaginary Reviewer - You and Mo can cuddle up under the duvet then, and I'll hog the doona for myself.
joshlos - Just standing up? Not hanging upside down from those steel ankle cuffs? Wuss.
WWW - FAIL. There is no wrong place to eat cookies.
"doona"t eff with me when I'm relaxing in my comforter. tee hee. get it? do not... donna t... hehehe
OH I crack myself up.
Post a Comment