Friday, March 20, 2009

Can We Talk About: Homesickness.

I don't actually get homesick that much but when I do it's like being stabbed in the guts. It's sharp and painful.

Things I miss (starting, appropriately enough, with soda and candy):

Schweppes Lemonade. Lemonade in Australia is not what Americans refer to as lemonade. It's basically Sprite or any similar beverage, like Seven-Up (Schweppes is just my favorite brand of this type of soda; it's not as syrupy-sweet as Sprite).
It irritates me that there is no generic name for this soda flavor here in the US.
What you call lemonade in the US doesn't really exist in Australia. I guess Aussies would call it homemade lemonade.
On a related note, what you call soda, we call soft drink.

Milko lollies. Lollies are what you guys call candy. Milkos are delicious chewy lollies that taste sort of like vanilla milkshake. There are also tongue-staining red raspberry-flavored ones called Redskins. They used to have a charming picture of a Native American gentleman on the wrapper but I'm pretty sure he's gone now, even though they haven't renamed them*.

Toffee Apple bars. We call candy apples toffee apples. Toffee Apple bars are a red & green striped bar of chewy candy . The red part sort of tastes like the candy coating of a candy apple, and the green part sort of tastes like apple flavor, but the whole thing tastes excitingly of insulin shock.

Also, they don't even have caramel apples in Australia, to the country's devastating detriment. Thick gooey sweet caramel surrounding a crispy, tart green apple is one of life's great pleasures.

*Shut up, they're not our native people. And you named a football team after them. Shame on you.

14 comments:

Candy's daily Dandy said...

ooooh that toffee apple bar sounds heavenly!

Not much of a soda drinker at all, but I was appropriately named.

Tangy taffy in strawberry is my weapon of choice!
I also love these little things called Frooties. They are made by Tootsie roll but they are fruit.
Oh yeah, I could get sick gorging myself on those babies!

rachaelgking said...

I love those Frootie things too! I never see them anywhere though.

I get homesick for my mom's Egg in the Hole and pancakes in the shape of my intials :-)

Esmé Glass said...

Oh man, I've been hit with a bout of homesickness, too!!!

http://www.hep-kittenphotos.blogspot.com

http://ainecaitriona.tumblr.com

It's sad really. I don't even have delicious candy to justify it with!!

Soda and Candy said...

Candy - Those sound good, I've never had them. I like Tootsie Rolls though! We didn't have them in Australia.

LiLu - Pancakes = yum. I miss heaps of my mum's cooking too.

Racquel - I think homesickness can strike no matter where you're from. It's where people understand you.

mo.stoneskin said...

I'm not really into any of those, but I do now fancy some Lemonade, ice-cold. Schweppes of course. Preferably out of a glass bottle rather than plastic or a can.

Sam_I_am said...

I'm hungry for caramel apples now :-P

words...words...words... said...

We do have a generic term for that flavor! "Lemon/lime" is the term for the flavor of sodas like 7-Up, Sprite and Slice.

If you call all candy "lollies", then what do you call what we call lollipops? (And do you really mean ALL candy? Like even chocolate?)

Lastly, one of my favorite snacks is apple slices with peanut butter. It's like a poor man's caramel apple, and slightly healthier.

Soda and Candy said...

Mo - Yes, glass bottle is the best. It keeps colder than plastic and you can close it again, unlike a can. Americans of course prefer their soda in styrofoam cups filled with ice. Blechh. I hate that because it ends up so watery!

Sam - Me too!

WWW - Yeah, I'm sure you order lemon-lime soda all the time.
; )
Umm, no, not all candy is called lollies. Chocolate is just called chocolate, and chocolate candy bars (like Snickers) are called chocolate bars. Lollipops are called lollipops. I hope that clears that up for you!
Oh and peanut butter & apple = delicious. I used to have PB sandwiches with super thin slices of Granny Smith apple... don't knock it until you try it, people.

Kurt said...

I think we can all agree that Australia is pretty much Never-neverland, and the only way to get over your homesickness is to fly there. So get that happy thought ready and I'll go bully a fairy out of her dust. (Which TOTALLY sounds like code for something dirty / illegal)

Soda and Candy said...

Kurt - hahahaha, thanks! I wish I could use fairy dust, it's probably a damn sight cheaper than plane tickets!

BeckEye said...

What about all those hot Aussie men? Don't you miss them, too?? I do, and I've never even been to Australia.

Soda and Candy said...

Haha Beckeye! I brought the best one with me.

(awwwww)

Anonymous said...

I prefer my lemon lime soda to have some cherry vodka in it, and maybe even a few maraschino cherries. Oh yeahhhhhh.

Soda and Candy said...

twinkie - Cherry vodka??? I have been out of the drinking loop for waayyyyy too long.