Saturday, March 21, 2009

Soda Fountain of Knowledge (Language Edition): Ta

ta: (idiom) Aust.

Ta is an expression used in Britain & Australia meaning "thank you".

It is one of the earliest words Australian children learn. I always thought it was one of those silly words that arise from small children not being able to form words correctly, just along the lines of mama, dada etc.

However, a cursory search of the internet reveals that there are various possible explanations.

One, that it is an acronym for Thanks Awfully, or Thanks Again.

Two, (from Yahoo Answers):
The word is a result of the heavy Danish influence on the English language. The Danish word for "thanks" is "tak". In Scotland and upper England it was common to drop the "k" at the end because of the way words were pronounced during the time of old English and Middle English. Hence the slang word "Ta" which should actually be pronounced "TA-k" but over time became "Ta".
(Then I guess the British brought it to Australia with them. More useful than some of the other things they brought, like smallpox & rabbits).

I vote for the second explanation. It seems more likely to me.


I keep forgetting this one is pretty much unknown in the US, but thanks to context it doesn't cause as many furrowed brows as some of my other expressions... Also,
I think I'm gonna keep teaching you guys words like this, because I actually learn things along the way too (unlike when I was in school, I enjoy learning things now. As long as there's no maths. Or "math" as you call it).

10 comments:

Kurt said...

Huh. I didn't know this one. Stupid American educational system. Makes sense though because that means "Ta-Ta"s are "Thank you Thank Yous".

Anonymous said...

I like this one. Why? Because it's shorter. And anytime we can shorten non-complicated words or phrases, why not?

Soda and Candy said...

Kurt - Hahahaha, that never occurred to me, but it makes total sense.

joshlos - that's pretty much the entire Aussie philosophy of language.

Anonymous said...

Thank you (or ta) S&C!

mo.stoneskin said...

Once again, a demonstration that a "cursory search of the internet" reveals a) information, b) variation and it's all interesting. I think I'll go for number 2 as well. (and I'm not just copying you...)

Candy's daily Dandy said...

Interesting...I always thought "ta ta" was like saying goodbye, or "ta ta's" as in bodacious ones....

Narm said...

Teach away.

Just don't try to give me homework.

rachaelgking said...

Oh, I love this... I'm totally bringing into the DC scene!

Tash said...

I've always wanted to use that word, but as a Yank, I didn't know if I was allowed.

Soda and Candy said...

Del-V - Welcome! And you're welcome.

Mo - It's so true!

Candy - Both of those are true as well. One "ta" = thank you, two "ta"s = what you said!

Narm - I wouldn't dream of it.

LiLu - Excellent *rubs hands together, Mr Burns style*

Tish - Cylons can do whatever they want!
; )