shirty: (idiom) Aust.
Unreasonably bad-tempered or annoyed. As in "Someone's shirty today!" or "Don't get shirty with me!"
The best use of the word
shirty was a recurring segment called
Shirty the Slighty Aggressive Bear, on a late 90's Australian sketch comedy show called The Late Show (clip
here. I have no desire to learn how to embed YouTubes).
19 comments:
As a Brit, I find that the phrase "Don't get shirty with me" is best ended with the word "sunshine". A personal preference there.
*small tear escapes* Sunshine... I haven't heard anyone call someone sunshine for AGES!
Thank you, Imaginary Reviewer. Now let's talk about popping off to the loo and pronouncing "scone" correctly, and I'll be right as rain!
Thanks for leaving all the great comments on my blog.
It is your unwillingness to learn that for drew me to you.
Thanks Zibbs!
Kurt - takes one to know one!
Personally I've never had the sunshine get shirty with me.
Shirty The Slightly Aggressive Bear is the best title for anything ever.
Mo - hahahaha!
WWW - Look up D-Generation Late Show on YouTube... Shirty's not even their best work.
My favourite Australian show was "Neighbours".
HAHA no, I'm kidding. Holy crap.
No, it's "Summer Heights High" which is AWESOME SQUARED.
And "Flight of the Conchords" which I'm fully aware is from New Zealand, but I'm mentioning it anyway as it's down under too.
I LOVE the Doug Anthony Allstars as well (if you know them?).
*I used to like to watch "Prisoner of Cell Block H" too but don't tell anyone. I was young and stupid and after the lobotomy I was cured.
Veg Assassin, you win Comment of the Day!
I grew up watching Neighbours, it is an institution. Do not mock it! Nah, totally mock it, it's shit.
I actually haven't seen Summer Heights High, but I feel like I ought to.
Flight of the Conchords ROCK. And since they are famous New Zealanders, that means they count as Australian. Just like Russell Crowe until he started lobbing phones at people.
I used to watch the Doug Anthony Allstars back in high school! But I've never seen Prisoner.
I wonder if that's where us Americans got the phrase, "Don't get SHITTY with me." (no R, just plain ol' shit)
Ohhhhhhhhhhh... I always thought someone just put an 'r' in there to clean up 'shitty' (so to speak). Now I know :)
I've got one awfully shirty teenaged boy in my house today!
Little shirt!
Twinkie & Diane - No. Aussies NEVER clean up their language. Unless they are in America... and even then...
Candy - hahahaha!
Isn't Dame Edna Everage your prime-minister-president or something? "She" should be.
Other good Australian things:
"Call that a knife? THIS is a knife!"
"It's not beeah it's Fosters"
Priscilla Queen of the Desert
Vegemite (it's not Marmite but it's good)
Waltzing Matilda
You are correct on everything cept the Fosters and Vegemite.
Nobody drinks Fosters in Australia, it is export-only. i.e. terrible.
Vegemite is horrible.
I LOVE VEGEMITE ON TOAST!
Does this make me honourary Australian or just tasteless?
Hmm. That is a tough call.
Ordinarily I would say tasteless, since I hate Vegemite and my opinion is fact.
But I like you, so I will say Honorary Aussie.
Vegemite is ace. Try it with a poached egg on a crumpet. You'll see.
It's not too late to learn to love Vegemite, S&C.
It's never too late.
Post a Comment