Back in the day, Destiny's Child were probably the first step I took to admitting to myself and the world that I enjoyed popular, and particularly "modern R&B", music. You could sing along (until they did their vocal acrobatic bits), you could dance to it, and it just sounded good.
Beyoncé was clearly the standout performer of the group, especially when they shed a couple of girls and became Beyoncé and the Other Two for the album Survivor. I loved that album, and I enjoyed the messages they sent in their songs that were all about being a powerful independent woman, able to take care of oneself and not relying on a man although enjoying their company quite a lot. I also found it quite sweet that they included an a capella gospel song bonus track dedicated to their singing teacher.
When Beyoncé's solo album came out, I wasn't as fond of some of the songs as I had been of the DC songs, but I still got the CD eventually. I grew to love most of the songs on that CD as well.
In particular the song Yes, about ditching a boy who tries to pressure her into sex, which I believe every teenage girl should listen to:
You said I moved too slow
I showed you to the door
You said you'd call me later
I said don't call no more
It is cool if you can't wait for me
I'm glad you let me know
Cause you showed me your true face baby the first time I said no
I said yes to your number and yes to you dating me
Yes we can be together but you gotta wait for me
The first time I said no
Its like I never said yes (like I never said yes)
There were other songs touching on such worthy topics as relying only on yourself rather than other people, ending toxic relationships and so on.
However, the shape of things to come was heralded with the clip for Baby Boy, a duet with Sean Paul, wherein she writhes around and gasps in the manner of a lady having an extremely private moment.
Fast forward to the present day.
Her current album doesn't seem to contain any "message" songs, unless the message is that only diamonds can secure affection (Single Ladies) and double entendres can be so obvious as to be almost single entendres (Ego). She's wealthy and successful, but she didn't do it by herself; her parents and particularly her manager father have masterminded every step.
Further, she is now married to a man whose musical record and personal history show very little respect for women. Jay-Z refers to women in his songs as bitches and hoes, and is known to have consorted with groupies throughout his career. Not only that but he proudly and publicly credits his current success as a rap mogul to his previous career as a drug dealer, particularly in the song Roc Boys:
I wanna thank my connectWhat happened, Beyoncé?
The most important person
With all due respect
Thanks to the duffel bag
The brown paper bag
The Nike shoe box
For holding all his cash
Boys in blue who put greed
Before the badge
The 1st pusher whoever made the stash
18 comments:
Wow, I didn't realize all that about Beyonce and Jay-Z (I listen to her music when it's on the radio, but have never been a big fan). I also put her and Mariah Carey in the same category and I just heard MC's new song (only because they premiered it on "America's Got Talent" for some odd reason...) and it was HORRIBLE. It had no melody and made no sense. Which is how I feel about most of Beyonce's music too.
I think you've just described the phenomenon known as "selling out". Sadly, it can happen even to the best and most bootylicious of them.
All this is fascinating to someone who leads a sheltered life and barely knows who Beyoncé is.
Now then, I love you and your blog but I have to take issue with this.
The very concept of the odious Beyonce being a role model to anyone is impossible to take seriously. This is a woman who flipped from 'you have to be able to pay for me or we won't have a relationship' (Bills, Bills, Bills) to 'aren't I amazing because I pay my own way' (Independant Woman). A woman who extolled the virtues of friendship and the sisterhood but relentlessly fired members of Destiny's child in her quest for fame.
People looking to Beyonce, or any other pop stars, for guidance on how to live their lives need a good talking to and more responsible parents. She's an odious cow with a warbly singing voice, not Germaine Greer or Ann Frank.
this was a good read. I had never really looked at her as a "role model" but especially after reading this I can see how at one point in her career she may have been, but I find myself asking the same question you have...
Wow, thanks you guys for reading this all! I know it's a bit long.
KAT - I will now admit to liking MC's post-Tommy Mottola career. ; )
Girl - It's weird, because clearly what she was doing before was marketable since DC were so successful. Maybe the whole squeaky clean thing was Daddy's idea and now she wants to be grown & sexy?
mo - I find that very hard to believe, after all you do have internet access!
Mr LS - Bills is actually about a man taking financial advantage of her and she is asking him to give her something in return for all the money he's taking from her. But you're not wrong about the other stuff.
Mr O - Thanks!
I like to keep my mindless pop mindless. I've never cared to know the lyrical content of Beyonce's songs. I have Pearl Jam for that deep and meaningful stuff.
Although I will say that at least her songs make sense, therefore it's really no fun to analyze. I've dissected some Britney songs before and...oh man. That is some priceless shit there. And you know, some kids out there still consider HER a role model. If it's a choice between Brit or Beyonce, I'd rather my kid looked up to Beyonce.
I enjoyed her real life espionage work with Austin Powers. Maybe that was what Michelle Obama was referring to?
I like the song Single Ladies! To me it says, hey if you want me, claim me!
Then again, maybe I haven't listened to all of the lyrics carefully?
Shawna's Study Abroad
I almost feel bad for saying this but I don't look at Beyonce or any other singer as a "role model" .. if I like the music, beat, and lyrics (whether they are degrading to women or not) ..if it hooks me? I like it.
For example.. I LOVE Too Short... "Say ho. Can I axe you a question? You like to____"
Then I love all the "independent women" songs .. not so much because of the content but because of the dance beat.
Having said that... I liked her first CD and a song or two since then. She's just as good anymore.
Sometimes, the more successful someone gets the more they rely on their own sensibilities and the less they rely on the sensibilities of those around them that helped them achieve success in the first place.
I think we might just be seeing the "real" Beyonce.
I don't get her either. But I'm really glad she and others like her don't appeal to my daughter at all. The closest thing my daughter has to a famous female role model is Helena Bonham Carter!!
BeckEye - It's a sad day when the yardstick for a better role model is simply that she hasn't flashed her hoo-ha in public.
; )
Eric - She certainly rocked the Afro, I kind of wish she'd do it for real sometime!
Shawna - I don't mind it as a song now that I've heard it 50 billion times, I just don't care for the message.
Twinkie - No I feel you. i still listen to some terribly messaged music - anything by Snoop or Lil Wayne is pretty much awful, but the flow and the beat is always so good!
WWW - You could be right. What a trashy ho-bag!
; )
Cora - So your daughter's gonna start keeping bats in her purse, it's better than shacking up with a crack dealer!
I'm baffled that anyone looks to pop stars or other musicians, actors etc as role models. Except as a role model of vacuous striving for fame. Aren't there enough people in other walks of life to use as role models?
Madame - You're so right. We have come to believe that well-known equals valuable.
Wow. You said it. I kind of want a lot of people to read this post. Mind if I pimp out a link?
Pimp away girl, pimp away!
Post a Comment