Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Soda Fountain of Knowledge (Language Edition): Fun Size Aussie Words


Strewth*! It's been a while since I've done a Soda Fountain of Knowledge post! Here is a collection of Aussie words, very typical in that they are merely shortened forms of existing words - I guess it's too bloody hot to say long words.

hanky:
n. handkerchief
As in "Don't put that disgusting used hanky back in your pocket!"

nightie: n. nightgown
As in "I couldn't sleep last night, I was up & down like a bride's nightie!"

chewy:
n. chewing gum
As in "Got any chewy, mate?"

ciggie: n. cigarette
As in "Strewth, I need to cut back on the ciggies."


On a side note, why do we ask to borrow cigarettes and tissues and things like that? If you "borrow" a tissue from me, there's no way in hell I'm letting you return it.


*Strewth is an Aussie exclamation that I believe the whitefellas imported from Britain. It comes from a much older oath, God's truth! Similarly, Zounds! comes from God's wounds!

19 comments:

Eric said...

Hahaha, I like the word usage for nightie... Thanks, I like expressions from other places, where in Australia did you live generally?

the girl with the pink teacup said...

Yeah, we're pretty bloody ridiculous, aren't we?

Incidentally, I'm typing this in my nightie whilst making liberal use of a hanky (damn swine flu...)

Nighty-night!

Scope said...

When someone asks to "borrow a tissue" I always and without fail say, "No. You may HAVE one, however." Which catches people off guard, because with the amount of playing with the language that I do on a daily basis, I am so not the "language police" guy.

MJenks said...

Ah, etymology, your wonders never cease!

The Imaginary Reviewer said...

...And these are all still in use in Northern England today!

Anna Russell said...

Oooh, we use all of these except chewy in Scotland. First time I said "nightie" to a yank, they looked at me like I was crazy and I had to explain what it was. I had no idea that not everyone used it.

Esmé Glass said...

I totally never knew the origin of "zounds"! That's awesome... I love old-timey expressions like "God's teeth!" or "by the beard of Zeus!"

Also, I may use that bride's nightie thing.

Cora said...

My parents are both from England, so we use a lot of those words too. But I have to say I love strewth! Blending words together is kinda fun. Hee hee hee.

SkylersDad said...

This is brilliant stuff, I love it. Australia was my most favorite port stop in the navy back when...

mo.stoneskin said...

All familiar terms. Got any chewy I can borrow?

Soda and Candy said...

Eric - East coast.

girl - Haha, oh you poor thing! Feel better soon - get some Vicks VapoRub on ya!

Scope - Haha, good work!

mjenks - I love it!

TIR - Even Zounds? ; )

Anna - I know, I only find out most of these things when I say them and get that furrowed brow look in response.

Racquel - My granny used to say "Jove!" (when she wanted to say "Bloody hell!")

Cora - Shine yer boots guv'nor? hehe

SkyDad - Mmhmm, Aussie girls like those American sailors down at Woollo wharf!

Mo - *spits wad of grape Hubba Bubba into hand* Here ya go mate!

words...words...words... said...

Wow, we use all those in the US except for "chewy". And we spell it "hankie". I think.

Vic said...

I think "nightie" is mostly used for little girls here. And maybe Playboy bunnies.

I'm going to start using "chewy" and see if it'll catch on.

Candy's daily Dandy said...

I think if someone asked me to "borrow a tissue" I might make the distinction to the person that they may HAVE it.


I get where it comes from now.

Soda and Candy said...

WWW - Dang it! Sometimes I'm not sure which ones y'all already know.

Vic - Please do!

Candy - Hahaha, yes, it's an important distinction.

tennysoneehemingway said...

Yeah, we're the 'ie' country aren't we? "Lookin' forward to Chrissie this year. Should get a few good pressies from me auntie and maybe a coupla tinnies wouldn't go astray neither."

Simon Butler said...

All except chewie – definitely not an Anglicism. The ‘can I borrer summat off yer, mate?’ when they mean ‘May I have something from you, my friend?’ is usage I also frown upon.

The thing I find amuses Americans most is ‘jumper’ (sometimes ‘pullover’) – I don’t know if it’s used in Australia. Americans insist it should be ‘sweater’, but I find the reference to sweating to be rather distasteful, and urge them to use ‘perspirer’ instead: so far this has not caught on.

Soda and Candy said...

Tenny - Hahahaa, tinnies!!! Did you know they call stubby holders beer koozies over here?

Simon - Hi! Welcome to my humble blog, sir. Yes, sweating is distasteful. They also call tracksuit pants sweatpants, which conjures up horrible mental images! Ladies, of course, do not sweat, we glow, but glow-pants just sounds odd.

Mr. Condescending said...

Lol I'm guessing that you aussies would go bonkers if someone in the US saw a piece of chewy on someones arse, then said "ma'am you have some gum stuck on your fanny"