WARNING: Highly subjective, opinionated, sweepingly generalized and probably factually inaccurate (not to mention ridiculously long) blog post ahead.
As always, feel free to weigh in with your own opinion in the comments.Also, this is like my 104th post! Somehow I keep missing the milestones. What luck that they're of no interest to anyone else.I've been feeling homesick for my people. It started when I was watching the Australian version of
Project Runway.
First of all, Aussies swear
a lot. And swearing is much less restricted not only on network television but also on cable* TV. The Aussie
Project Runway contestants were swearing their hearts out constantly. We're simply not that offended by it. I'm not saying preschoolers and old nannas are telling each other to eff off, but we just don't take it as seriously as Americans do. Particularly blasphemy, which is barely considered swearing at all, at least in terms of television censorship.
Not only that, simply the way Australians interact with one another is different. The difference is almost indefinable but I think this is what it is:
1. Aussies don't like putting themselves forward.This is why the Australian version of
Survivor failed and why the Aussie
Project Runway contestants were dreadful at team challenges - no one wanted to tell other people what to do.
The Aussie Tim Gunn replacement didn't say "You have to pack your bags and leave", he said "I'm going to need you to pack your things and leave", thereby distancing himself from what was essentially an order. He made it sound like he wasn't telling them to leave, he was just letting them know that it needed to happen.
Americans tend to like trying things and are not afraid to take charge. Australians don't want to be seen as thinking they are better than you...
2. ... but they will never let you think you're superior to them.American politeness involves a kind of deference that most Australians would choke on**. Americans tend to expect it should you be perceived as their social inferior in some way (like a waitress or a younger person). As a simple example, here in the South they are particularly fond of calling people "sir" and "ma'am", whereas in Australia you will often be called "mate", "darl" or "love" by people you've only just met (especially old ladies in fish & chip shops for some reason).
Aussies aren't rude exactly, they just don't kowtow to the idea of a class system. The
working-class man is the
idealized cultural icon of Australia, which probably has something to do with the current culture having been created by people from the lower echelons of the British class system... Oh crap, I think I just contradicted myself. I think what I mean to say is, there
is some sort of class system inasmuch as there are different socio-economic levels in society but we place less importance on those levels in our interactions, and the highest level is definitely not the most respected.
We are appropriately polite, respectful to our elders and in professional situations, but there is an inherent understanding of equality as
people that I believe flows through all Australian interactions.
One of the greatest sins in Australian culture is to be "up yourself" or arrogant, and if you are suspected of this great crime you will be mercilessly cut down - the downside of which is that often if you want to achieve great success you have to move somewhere like America where self-confidence and self-assurance are considered valuable and you can get a lot
more arrogant before it starts grating on people.
*There are 5 free-to-air networks and cable TV exists, but is nowhere near as prevalent as in the US. Satellite TV is more or less unheard of, or at least was when I left.
**This may be why hospitality service in Australia seems to be a bit crappier than the US. Australians do not enjoy being in a position of servitude to other people, and compensate for it with a snotty attitude. Also they get paid a decent wage, so they don't need to kiss your arse*** for tips.***I'm spelling it the Aussie way for this post; it seemed appropriate.
21 comments:
Soda, this post was that good that you've make me homesick for Australia, even though I'm technically already here.
This post was probably intended to be educational for your Stateside readers, but I found it bizarrely reverse-educational (if that's even a term). It helped to confirm a lot of things I'd long suspected about our darling American friends: the aversion to swearing (what's with that? It's like air to me!), the fact that blasphemy is actually considered swearing, the fact that precious few take the piss out of clearly up-themselves people, and the television programmes... Oh, the television programmes...
Thank you, Project Runway. I've never watched you - you air on cable TV, which no-one actually has - but you've given wonderful Soda a perfect vehicle for cultural comparison between our two great nations. OK, so it's your great nation and our marginally-important nation. You know what I mean.
I'll have to go visit there, sounds like nice people.
Hmmm it's cool to see the difference between Americans and Aussies. I really didnt think there were too many. And I never thought blasphemy was considered a swear word. thats so weird.
great post :)
that last paragraph is on point. It's like there is a line you have to get to, but not cross. Not enough of an ego and people will walk all over you. Too much of one and no one wants anything to do with you. But it's like the girls and assholes thing. Sometimes, it just happens. Look at all the rich, corporate people. It always makes headlines when they do something decent, ya know? Because it's not the norm.
Question: you said "here in the south" and I was wondering exactly where that was. (only if you don't mind) I got here in 3rd grade and I have adapted to ma'am and sir myself. In fact, there are a lot of South exclusives, I'm just curious to see where you see yours.
I think that much of what you say about Australians could just as easily be applied to Brits. Certainly the way someone serving you in a shop – whether a girl of 16 or a woman of 60 – will invariably address you as ‘love’ (or, with a bloke, as ‘mate’). No doubt the easy-going familiarity won’t apply completely across the board, but it seems to extend to most.
I’ve never lived in the States, but from what I read in blogs there is a different attitude to ambition and success, particularly in jobs and careers. Of course ambition is encouraged in Europe, but to nothing like the same extent. After over five years of blogging I’m still taken aback to see someone writing “That was when I was taking my Master’s.” or (of someone clearly in their thirties or forties) “I’ve decided to study for a second Bachelor’s degree.” – when, by the standard of their grammar and spelling, and the type of work they describe themselves as doing, I’m assumed they’d barely graduated from High School. It’s a bit like seeing the first bit in Fight Club, where the automatic assumption being made is that everyone is being pressurised into working their bollocks off to buy luxuries they don’t need, and that they should rebel against this. No problem in Europe, where a far more relaxed attitude is taken when balancing work and leisure. Indeed the emphasis on the importance of weekends and holidays (particularly in France) is apparently a bit of a standing joke in the US – so it seems, anyway.
Sorry about the length of that – brevity is an art I have never learned to master!
Girl - Hahaha, I heart you! I'm glad you didn't call me on my hastily cobbled together assessment of the Aussie character!
Eric - Aussies are great people!
Constructive attitude - I didn't either until I'd lived in both places. Thanks!
Mr O - But different attributes set the line in different places in different cultures.
Simon - Ramble away, sir! I thought about that when I was writing too, I do agree that a lot of our Aussie culture comes direct from England!
I've loved every Aussie I've met. I think we Brits are similar regarding language/blasphemy, which is a tad surprising given our Christian roots!
Soda - there is a show on in the UK at the moment called 'Ladette to Lady'. A dozen young aussie girls have the crap beaten out of them by posh middle aged englishwomen. They learn such crucial life skills such as how to get out of a car without 'flashing their gash'.
It's craptastic.
America's the only country I know of where wait staff rely on your tips for survival. Everywhere else I've been, people in that profession are paid a wage and tips are a nominal gratuity of a couple of bucks on top, not a percentage. I still think it's ludicrous that you can expect a person to work for virtually nothing and rely on the customers to pay their wages through tips, yet if you get crappy service and refuse to tip YOU'RE the villain.
It's funny to hear you comparing Australian culture to the U.S. because I've been a lot of places and the U.S. is different in the ways you mention to just about EVERYWHERE. Everywhere else is more like Australia!
There seem to be a lot of similarities between Aussie and Canadian attitudes, especially as they relate to American attitudes and behaviour. I've never lived in the US, but our proximity imbues Canadians with special knowledge and profound insight, and I think the colonial backgrounds that Aussies and Canadians share (notwithstanding your criminal ancestry, which is equates nicely to our hockey culture) cause us to respond in similar ways to American attitudes.
Did that make sense? I may have been sidetracked by my own need to be frivolous.
I've never really thought about Aussies, except that there's thousands of them working as bar staff i every pub I ever go into. Are there any left in Australia?
I love it when you do this!
My parents are British and moved to America right before I was born. Thus, when I was little I had a British accent and our home was a mini England in many ways.
We used to call my mom "mum".... until all the US kids laughed their butts off at us, then we switched it to "mom". And I still remember the first time I called mom "mom" and how sad she looked when it happened, but how she didn't fight it, she let us Americanize her title all to pacify our friends.
My mom used to call all the neighborhood kids "lovey".
And to this day I still say "sorry" a lot. A LOT. It just pops out, the polite British side of me I tried so hard to murder when I was a kid so I could be like everyone else.
Blah. I'm rambling. Again. Sorry.
;-)
Mo - Aw. : ) I think we just don't take ourselves, or anything really, as seriously as the Americans seem to do.
sas - That sadly sounds like something I would watch! At least we know enough to know it's shameful!
; )
Veg - Really? Here I was thinking Aussies were all weird & unique
; )
Coop - Haha, yes, and don't worry, I enjoy frivolity!
Madame - Ah so you'd be English then? I think there are a couple left in the bush somewhere...
; )
Cora - Awww, your poor mum! I blame mine for me spending my whole life trying to remember which was the American word and which the Aussie word for things. Although let's face it, that was probably TV's fault too.
Interesting post. I wonder in particular about the respect given to the higher classes. In America, you are right that belonging to that class is a goal. However, I don't think those that are actually in that class are respected as much as the blue-collar worker. It's an interesting dichotomy - that's where most people want to be, yet they dislike most people that are already there.
And as far as swearing, I wonder if swear words carry more power in America by virtue of their scarcity or taboo nature. I love having the tool of profanity when I write, only because it nails a level of intensity. I wonder if that tool is not lost in other countries?
WWW - Ooh good point. I still love swearing though. It's annoying to me when I have to tone it down.
I think Americans are fascinated by arrogance, and it makes for good tv, but in reality, unless it's done ironically or tongue-in-cheek, arrogance isn't tolerated very well here. Or maybe it's tolerated and used as a power tool, but it's not a quality anyone would admire. Or is it? I don't know, I surround myself with self-deprecating goofballs, so what do I know.
Kurt'll be up and posting in no time. I know, I have Monster Apathy withdrawal too.
Steamy - Oh don't misunderstand me, I don't think most Americans are arrogant. I think they're just confident and unapologetic and enthusiastic in a way that Australians for example are not. And when other people are not that way sometimes it comes across as arrogance.
It seems that there are a shit-ton of hot Aussie men. And you're saying that they're generally not arrogant assholes, even if they're incredibly good looking? I'm moving if this is true.
Great Post Soda and so true. I've often looked at Americans with a small twinge of envy that they are prepared to encourage someone to be great whereas, over here, it's almost actively discouraged. Unless, of course, you're a sportsman. I mean, success is acknowledged, but not fawned upon. The problem appears if you happen to acknowledge your own success without attributing it to any 'luck.' Then you get caned.
I love it when you talk about Australia. I'm always disappointed when it ends.
BeckEye - Ah yes, but I didn't say they weren't wankers. ; )
Tennyson - The most perfect comment on this post! I agree completely.
Prosy - Aw, thanks mate!!!
Post a Comment