Tuesday, July 14, 2009

More Macro Goodness!

I cannot take credit for these ones! They are all the work of The Husband, who overcame an intense dislike of spiders to get close to this guy.

^ a golden silk orbweaver. I like her fuzzy legwarmers, and her skull-like head. and the fact that her bite is not poisonous to humans. I do wish she'd eat more mosquitoes though.


^ a green anole lizard sunning himself on a tree branch. they are slightly bigger than the skinks I'm used to from home. I think they're dear little things. a common sight in our backyard on sunny days - luckily the dogs haven't caught any yet. I wish they'd catch more mosquitoes too.

20 comments:

Scope said...

Great photos.

And you know BATS eat mosquitoes. I think I'd rather have the mosquitoes.

the girl with the pink teacup said...

I'm just waiting for the macro shot of the GIANT mosquitoes breeding at your place, what with the shitty good-for-nothing spiders and lizards dragging the chain and all.

The Husband has mad skills behind the lens. Sweeeet!

Anonymous said...

What a GREAT spider pic. Although it made me itchy just looking at it. :) That's awesomely close. I love my macro too. It makes everything better. Except spiders and bugs. Just makes them scarier. Shudder!

miss. chief said...

that spider is nasty!! but tell your husband that ol' miss.chief thinks it's a cool photo!

Eric said...

Gahhhh... hate spiders... can't click away fast enough...

Simon Butler said...

Very impressive, especially the golden silk orbweaver.

SkylersDad said...

Jesus! Where do you live? The Amazon delta?

Candy's daily Dandy said...

Ooohhhh... lovely photos.

I agree that your little spider friend has a cool edge to her.

I'm quite sure I would have no interest in getting the slightest bit close enough to her to find out.

Tash said...

That spider would make a pretty colorful blob on the ground if I stomped on it.

mo.stoneskin said...

*shudder*

Good job I'm not an arachnophobe.

Soda and Candy said...

Scope - I'm not sure. I think if the bats won't bite me I'd rather have them.

Girl - I've seen ones the size of a daddy-long-legs in our bathroom.

Veggie - Macro butterflies and bees are lovely. Spiders maybe not so much!

miss.chief - I will!

Eric - Hahaha, come back next time, no spiders in my next post!

Simon - Thanks!

SkyDad - Sometimes it's the same humidity level. Our garden does have a very jungly feel to it.

Candy - I know, there's interesting and then there's interesting!

TishTash - You'd have to high-kick the web first to get her on the ground.

mo - Heh. It helps that this is not a poisonous spider. I don't think we'd be hanging around to take photos in that case.

Mr O said...

that picture in my reader gave me the shivers. Seriously. There is no way I could EVER get that close (but props to him for his skills)

Cora said...

I'm going to have spider nightmares tonight. Thanks a lot.

What camera do you use? Those are gorgeous shots.

JennyMac said...

Great photos...and the orbweavers are harmless but they rather imposing looking. We had one in our back yard while a friend was visiting...after her coronary upon seeing it, she refused to go outside again.

Anonymous said...

The bottom one looks a bit like a velociraptor.

I am definitely scared of them. They can open doors and shizzle.*


* this is me trying the whole gangsta thing, and finding it doesn't suit me.

Soda and Candy said...

Mr O - Haha, I'm so sorry about the nightmares! Just look at the lizard, he is cute!

Cora - It's a Canon Powershot A1000IS. Basic digital point & shoot, but even the basic ones are light years ahead of where they used to be.

JennyMac - I was extremely wary until I googled it and found out it can't kill me, as opposed to oh about 99% of Aussie spiders.

Chris - Yes, stick to saying things like "narky bollocks" and "chap".
; )

david mcmahon said...

That first shot's wonderful!

BeckEye said...

I thought at first that caption read, "green ahole lizard." I was gonna ask what the lizard did to be called such a mean name.

Anonymous said...

Ohmygod, I think that spider just gave me a heart attack.

Soda and Candy said...

david - It is, isn't it!

beckeye - well, they're more of a jerk lizard than an a-hole. because they won't eat the mozzies.
; )

haute - try walking into its web and not being able to locate it right away!
; )