Sunday, July 26, 2009

Over To You: Blog as Cultural Exchange Depot.

It seems like everyone really likes when I write about Aussie stuff, but I need some suggestions from you guys.

Aussie readers
What Aussie things would you like me to introduce to our international friends?
A quick example of the kind of thing: The heaven that is Tim Tams.

Non-Aussie readers
Do you have any questions you would like to ask an Aussie, or any Aussie things you would like to know about?
A quick example: No, Aussie children do not ride kangaroos to school.

Leave suggestions in the comments.

32 comments:

Mr. Condescending said...

Have you ever been in the outback?

Is there a large climate difference between north and south or east and west borders?

miss. chief said...

one time i had a friend from australia and he said that i sounded like an old person when i said somebody was my "friend", and that i should say "mate" instead. is this true or was he messing with me?

Soda and Candy said...

Mr C - I haven't been in the Outback, which is really the way out in the middle of the country desert, but I have been in the bush, which I think you guys would call the woods or the country. Australia is a big country so there is a huge difference between the tippy-top sub-tropical North and the South where it is much closer to Antarctica but still doesn't get super cold. There are 2 southern mountain ranges where it gets cold enough to snow for something like 6 weeks a year. East and West coast I don't think differ so much but right in the middle is baking hot desert.

Soda and Candy said...

miss.chief - Many Aussies say friend, no one exclusively says mate as far as I know. I think it depends where you're from and what you personally prefer.

Mr. Condescending said...

Ahhh very informative! Two more questions sorry...

Are boomerangs really popular there? And how far away are your old home, tennys, and teacups? Are they in the same general part of australia or really far apart?

SkylersDad said...

I was in Perth in 1977 in the Navy, and then Sidney in 1985 with work. I understand there is some good old fashioned ribbing between the east and west.

Where do you live, and where do you stand on east versus west?

Anonymous said...

S&C - My brother lives in Newcastle, NSW. What is the point of Newcastle?

Mr O said...

since you are kind of in the both worlds my question is not what is the biggest difference you have seen, but what is the most suprising similarity?

Eric said...

Do people there really make a dessert called lammingtons?

Soda and Candy said...

Good questions you guys!
I will be back to answer them as soon as I have the time to devote the requisite amount of attention!!!

words...words...words... said...

What is your favorite thing about America that doesn't exist in Australia?

And do you really kick people with a giant boot if they break the law?

Farnnay said...

What do Aussies think of americans!?

Soda and Candy said...

Mr C - 1. No. I don't even know how to throw a boomerang. Then again I can't ride a bike and that's pretty atypical everywhere. 2. I try not to give details about where I live/lived too much but I did go on holidays to where the Girl lives a couple of times and it was lovely.

SkyDad - It's really more state vs state or city vs city rather than east v west as far as I know. I have lovely friends from both Perth and Sydney.

Mr LS - It used to be coal but I think their main export now is Miss Universe (Jennifer Hawkins) and also bogans.

Mr O - That may be a post in itself, I'll have to think on that one!

Eric - Yes and they are delicious, (but only spelled with one M). Two layers of sponge cake with cream and sometimes strawberry jam between, dipped in a thin sort of melted chocolate and rolled in shredded dessicated coconut. Incidentally this and Anzac biscuits (cookies) are the only way I will eat coconut.

WWW - Dr Pepper, duh. They tried selling it in Australia but most Aussies think it tastes like carbonated cough syrup. And no. Also, our currency is lamentably not called the dollaridoo.

Soda and Candy said...

CA - I don't think there's a national consensus on that! I personally like them.
; )

Valerie said...

haha- dollaridoo.

and they call it the Bush here in Canada, which I found confusing at first, and I still feel a little dirty when I say it myself.

I have to say (ok this may make for an incredibly boring post) I have no idea how the Aussie government works other than there's a Prime Minister.

Also if you could verify- My father travels to Australia for business often and says that the economy is very strong there, and that people are much more concerned with health and eating well there than in the States.

Lastly, Vegemite- why?

Soda and Candy said...

Valerie - re the government, I'm afraid I know very little more myself. Your father is probably right in a broadly general sense; I personally find that eating healthy here is much more expensive than eating badly. Basic things like cheese, fresh non-reconstituted 100% fruit juice, and truly multi-grain bread are more expensive than their highly processed sugary counterparts. I seem to recall being able to buy healthy basics more cheaply in Oz.

I have no answer in regards to Vegemite as I think it's evil.

the girl with the pink teacup said...

OH SODA! This post is pure wonderful.

Typically Australians thing I want to share with our non-Aussie friends are as follows:

* Most people do not 'own' kangaroos, although there are quite a few of them just hopping freely around. We also have wallabies, of which there are several on my property.

* I don't carry a massive knife about my person at all times (although I have played 'knife-y spoon-y' before in the manner of The Simpsons). I am fairly sure most Australians eschew massive knives as a general rule.

* Despite the shady Anglo-convict chapters of our past, not all of us are descended from petty criminals.

I almost want to respond to some of the hilarious questions about Australia, but I'll try to refrain from hijacking this wonderful cultural dialogue except to say:

words: everything you've heard about that boot is true. And Bart totally deserved to get it, the little weasel.

Soda and Candy said...

Wallabies!!! I heart them. Being from the city I only ever got to see roos and wallabies when visiting bush-dwelling friends.

Hehe, I loved that episode so much - "It's a bloody outrage it is!"

tennysoneehemingway said...

I'd really like you to do a post on the terrible cultural cringe that still exists in this country. The fact that we STILL refer to Nicole Kidman as 'Australia's own.' Yes, we know that, THE WHOLE FUCKING WORLD KNOWS THAT, GET OVER IT. Sorry, it's just something that bugs me terribly.

Soda and Candy said...

Hahaha Tennyson, you're so right.

Madame DeFarge said...

Does anyone actually go to the Bungle Bungles? As heard on many a Neighbours episode in the late 80's

Soda and Candy said...

Madame - Oh dear, I don't actually know where they are, pronbably in the Outback or something. I'm sure people who enjoy hiking, dust, ants and poisonous snakes go there all the time.

Laura said...

Want kind of mating rituals can one expect out of Aussies?

MJenks said...

Is Canberra really a big, open, spacious city with lots of parks? Or is Bill Bryson lying to me?

Scope said...

See, go on vacation for a day or two and suddenly, you're too late to make the: "School kids ride wallbies. Adults ride 'roos." joke.

What about the Jacko Jackson Energizer, OYE! dude? And besides the Midnight Oil song, are there any other good aboriginal rights songs that we haven't heard?

Simon Butler said...

Have you ever heard or used the expression A Buckley’s [chance]? The meaning being ‘no chance at all’?

Where I grew up in Cheshire there was a nearby village called Marton, and the story was printed in the local paper of a man called William Buckley from Marton having been transported to Australia, escaped, and against all odds survived for many years, living among a tribe Aborigines, before returning to ‘civilisation’, and a pardon.

Soda and Candy said...

Lola - Hahahaha, good question. If an Aussie man asks you "Wanna root?", only say yes if he's attractive.

Mjenks - I guess it is, I haven't been there much. All I know is it's boring as batshit. But the National Gallery is quite good.

Scope - Yep, you snooze you lose. Try looking for "Treaty" by Yothu Yindi.

Simon - Really? I always heard that it came from when there was a business called "Buckley's & Nunn", thus:
"What chance have I of getting another beer?"
"Buckley's[and Nunn, equaling "none"].

Cora said...

Sorry for my tardiness on this. Please feel free to blame Scope. Anyway....

Yahoo Serious. Australian hero or embarrassment?

Personally, I adore the guy, I'm just curious how Australians typically feel about him.

Soda and Candy said...

Cora - I think he's pretty much a non-event as far as most Aussies are concerned. I kind of love how Americans still remember him!

Simon Butler said...

I should have checked Wikipedia before I asked you – here you go.

As it is with such saying, it’s left to you to decide which is the correct origin of the expression.

Anonymous said...

Late to the party, sorry -- but I like this very much.

Perhaps there should be a vote: Marmite or Vegemeite? Mind you, the answer (or question) might be 'why?' to both.

Wallabies are great. I prefer Wombats. Particular the one I saw in an out-take from 'Neighbours' (sorry) that fell off the kitchen table. Endearingly clumsy.

I have a boomerang. They are pretty easy -- it's hard not to throw in such a way that it works. It startles English people in parks which is all to the good.

By the way: the Word Verification I am presented with today is not 'Ficti' but 'Facti'. How 'bout that?

Most things Australian are just wonderful. I only really exclude Fosters.

Soda and Candy said...

Simon - Either one is good!

G Henry - Wombats will eff you up dude. Stay out of their way!!!
I would say Why? to both Marmite & Vegemite, I hate them both.
We exclude Fosters too, I believe it comes out of the factory marked Export Only.