Over to You: "It was the best of times, it was the BLURST of times?!"
I was going to write a mini-thesis on the differences between Americans and Australians based on viewings of each country's Projecct Runway, but I haven't time*, so I want you guys to tell me:
Which country you live in
The first great thing about that country that springs to mind
The first bad thing about that country that springs to mind
I've been feeling a little homesick and I think it might help.
Oh snap. My word ver was "dahos." Maybe I was supposed to say they are the worst thing about my country? But we don't have as many as Amsterdam, so I stand by my original answer.
1. The United Kingdom (or, more specifically, England). 2. The physical beauty, the historical relics, and the myths and legends of the area I live in. But mainly because I have lived all my life here. 3. That, despite being in the EU, most of my countrymen are still embarrassingly insular and narrow-minded, as epitomised by dickheads like the Metric Martyrs.
1. America 2. For the most part, our thoughts are not censored 3. how divided we can get (republicans/democrats, pro-choice/pro-life, racism... stuff like that)
The US-of-A. The good: The way-- wait, TimTams come in caramel flavor?!? The bad: No caramel TimTams anywhere I've ever shopped. What's up with that?!?
1. USA (Seattle) 2. Total diversity. No matter where I go here I see people from many cultures. I love that! 3. Politics. It is definitely an us vs them mentality between republicans and democrats. It's destructive.
By the way, I just realized that my 2nd comment might make it seem like I think Amsterdam is a COUNTRY. I assure you that's not the case. I know very well that it's in Zimbabwe.
1 - The United States of America (Chicago) 2 - It has ERIC right in the name! 3 - People who think that their can be rights without responsibilities.
------------------------ (Going Down Under) 1 - Not from Australia 2 - Always try to take it at the start of a RISK game. 3 - Mark "Jacko" Jackson's Energizer commercials. OYE!
1. Canada 2. they're all so polite up here 3. politeness goes out the window when people find out I'm American and I get asked stuff like if I carried a gun in the states...
also facebook told me I should live in Seattle, which is where I moved from(nearby at least). The things we do for love.
BeckEye - Well Duh! Forfty percent of people know that!
Gwen - Amen on both of those, wise lady!
Mr C - Don't worry, sadly idiots are a worldwide phenomenon
Mr LS - Alcoholic or non-alcoholic? Just kidding I know you're a lush. ; )
Scope - He was wacko waaay before y'all's Jacko.
Valerie - Well, what a silly question, of course you had a gun. ; ) Seriously though, in non-gun-happy countries we are scared of that aspect of the USA. But it didn't stop me moving here, so...
Wow, lots of Canadians. Me too. 2. The fact that we can have all the benefits of one of the world's great countries (right next door, if you're taking notes), but with none of the pressure or notoriety, thus leaving us free to do it even better than they do. 3. We keep talking about hockey and Mounties as though that's all we have. Ask a tourist to define a Canadian, and he'll tell you he's a hockey-playing Mountie. Who eats donuts.
1. England (Derbyshire) 2. Good queuing manners 3. Hatred of Europe
(Although, yes, Radio 1 is also shite.)
S&C: yes you may call me Chris. You have already indicated you are not pleased with me abbreviating you to "Sod" so I will have to think of an alternative!
Cooper Green - The first impression I got of Canada was from Degrassi Junior High, so that I knew about saying "aboot" and after that it was Due South which was Mounties ahoy and not even a Canadian show.
Chris - Yay! "S&C" will do. Yes, it's weird - England v. the whole of Europe...
28 comments:
1. Canada.
2. It's not Rwanda here.
3. It's pretty much only as good as Rwanda here.
1. Australia
2. The Ashes 2nd test is on.*
3. Shane Warne is commentating. Biggest turn-off ever.
* You know why I like this...
Sending you love from the Old Country, Soda. Also, will send Tim Tams at a moment's notice if needed - best expat first aid I know of.
NB: Sorry this comment was a little bit in-jokey Aussie-centric, friends - but Soda is homesick!
US (Texas)
Pro: Individual liberties
Con: Liberties slowly being taken away
1. USA
2. American Idol!
3. American Idol!
Oh snap. My word ver was "dahos." Maybe I was supposed to say they are the worst thing about my country? But we don't have as many as Amsterdam, so I stand by my original answer.
Wow! A serious question. I shall do my best.
1. The United Kingdom (or, more specifically, England).
2. The physical beauty, the historical relics, and the myths and legends of the area I live in. But mainly because I have lived all my life here.
3. That, despite being in the EU, most of my countrymen are still embarrassingly insular and narrow-minded, as epitomised by dickheads like the Metric Martyrs.
1. America
2. For the most part, our thoughts are not censored
3. how divided we can get (republicans/democrats, pro-choice/pro-life, racism... stuff like that)
1. Canada
2. The inclusiveness
3. I know fuck all people here.
You guys are the best!
God - Ah, but does Rwanda have Mounties?
Girl - Ahahaha, I certainly do! Also, euw, Warnie and mmmm TimTams! Black Forest or Caramel flavor rock as hard as the original.
Eric - I like how you specified Texas. It does feel like a separate country sometimes!
; )
BeckEye - Hahahahahahaha, hoes.
Simon - Oh man. The Imperial system chafes my extremities. (thanks to Veggie Assassin for that phrase!)
MrO - Good points. Division is no fun!
TIR - Yeah, your point 2 is almost true for me here!
1. USA
2. Our Constitution
3. TMZ
BTW, you can't trust monkeys to type ANYTHING these days.
The US-of-A.
The good: The way-- wait, TimTams come in caramel flavor?!?
The bad: No caramel TimTams anywhere I've ever shopped. What's up with that?!?
England.
Pubs.
Traffic. No, the rail service. No the NHS. No the taxes. No the crap television.
1. USA (Seattle)
2. Total diversity. No matter where I go here I see people from many cultures. I love that!
3. Politics. It is definitely an us vs them mentality between republicans and democrats. It's destructive.
USA - Colorado
Purple mountains majesties above the fruited plains.
People who get all their information from forwarded emails.
WWW - Word on TMZ, that is just... wrong. PS - I knew you'd get it!
KAT - I see you're acquainted with our national treasure ; ) Yep at least the last time I was there they had caramel ones. *drool*
Mo - Really? I had no idea you enjoyed pubs ; )
Cora - Your #2 is one of the things I miss about Oz.
SkyDad - Ugh, email forwards. Thank goodness I don't get too many these days. I'd spend all my time replying with the Snopes page that debunks them!
By the way, I just realized that my 2nd comment might make it seem like I think Amsterdam is a COUNTRY. I assure you that's not the case. I know very well that it's in Zimbabwe.
USA
Freedom and opportunity
Our arrogance
USA (Upstate NY)
Pro - Diversity
Con - A lot of idiots!
1. England
2. Cider
3. Radio 1
1 - The United States of America (Chicago)
2 - It has ERIC right in the name!
3 - People who think that their can be rights without responsibilities.
------------------------
(Going Down Under)
1 - Not from Australia
2 - Always try to take it at the start of a RISK game.
3 - Mark "Jacko" Jackson's Energizer commercials. OYE!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2RSu9Gw61U&feature=related
FYI - Facebook just told me I should live in Melbourne.
1. Canada
2. they're all so polite up here
3. politeness goes out the window when people find out I'm American and I get asked stuff like if I carried a gun in the states...
also facebook told me I should live in Seattle, which is where I moved from(nearby at least). The things we do for love.
BeckEye - Well Duh! Forfty percent of people know that!
Gwen - Amen on both of those, wise lady!
Mr C - Don't worry, sadly idiots are a worldwide phenomenon
Mr LS - Alcoholic or non-alcoholic? Just kidding I know you're a lush.
; )
Scope - He was wacko waaay before y'all's Jacko.
Valerie - Well, what a silly question, of course you had a gun.
; ) Seriously though, in non-gun-happy countries we are scared of that aspect of the USA. But it didn't stop me moving here, so...
Wow, lots of Canadians. Me too.
2. The fact that we can have all the benefits of one of the world's great countries (right next door, if you're taking notes), but with none of the pressure or notoriety, thus leaving us free to do it even better than they do.
3. We keep talking about hockey and Mounties as though that's all we have. Ask a tourist to define a Canadian, and he'll tell you he's a hockey-playing Mountie. Who eats donuts.
1. England (Derbyshire)
2. Good queuing manners
3. Hatred of Europe
(Although, yes, Radio 1 is also shite.)
S&C: yes you may call me Chris. You have already indicated you are not pleased with me abbreviating you to "Sod" so I will have to think of an alternative!
Cooper Green - The first impression I got of Canada was from Degrassi Junior High, so that I knew about saying "aboot" and after that it was Due South which was Mounties ahoy and not even a Canadian show.
Chris - Yay! "S&C" will do. Yes, it's weird - England v. the whole of Europe...
Australia
pro's- we have awesome slang
cons- our telly has been swamped with American reality t.v. shows and Australia can't make a good Aussie show to save themselves.
...and Warnie is commentating the cricket
Me Amped - Excellent points. Nobody would read my blog if it weren't for Aussie words! And excellent Aussie shows are like hens teeth.
Post a Comment