Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Chick-what-A?

In the United States, filet is spelled with one L and pronounced fill-AY.

In Australia, fillet is spelled with two Ls and pronounced FILL-it. Unless you are being fancy and French and referring to filet mignon.

In the United States, -er on the end of a word is pronounced -err, for example teacher would be pronounced teacherr.

In Australia, -er on the end of a word is pronounced more like -ah, for example teacher would be pronounced teachah.

In the United States, there is a fried-chicken fast-food chain called Chick-fil-A.


When Husband and I first saw this sign, we didn't know about the American pronunciation of fillet, so we said to each other in our Aussie accents "Chick Feeler? Why would you call your restaurant Chick Feeler?"

22 comments:

Farnnay said...

hahaha. why would you!?!

Soda and Candy said...

Right?
: )

MJenks said...

Chick-fil-a is actually Iroquois for "Effing delicious".

mo.stoneskin said...

Good job you warned me, I was just about to file a lawsuit.

Eric said...

Why did the chicken cross the road?

Because there was a Chick feel ah on that side.

Simon Butler said...

The Americans put us Brits to shame when it comes to pronunciation. Just about any vowel in a place-name is unstressed in British-English, meaning Buckinghamshire comes across as ‘Buckingumshuh’. The nearest city to where I live is spelled Derby and pronounced thus by those from the US, but (quite inexplicably) ‘Darby’ by Brits, and the county of Norfolk is pronounced ‘Norfuck’. It’s embarrassing.

Oh yes, and along the same lines, ‘teacher’ is pronounced ‘teachuh’. We do, however, pronounce ‘fillet’ in the same way as the Aussies.

Mr O said...

I loved the little differences, haha

teachah, i like that


anyways, when I first came to the south, i was like "what is this place?" Now, I LOVE their sandwiches so much that this post almost made me go get one.

Then I saw one in California and spazzed out. I wonder if they pronounce it differently there...

SkylersDad said...

I thought that all you Aussies ever said to each other was "That's not a knife, now THIS is a knife!"

I was lied to...

Gwen said...

And then you marched right in to get felt, right?

Cora said...

Pfffft! You have to love those culture clashy moments, hmm?

When I was 12 my parents took me to England for my uncle's wedding. During the reception I was sitting at a table by myself while everyone else was getting food. Suddenly a man came and sat down with me and was rolling a cigarette while talking to me.

After a few minutes he made this alarming statement to me, "I like to roll my own fags"

....Ummm.... MOMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

I found out about two years later that in the UK a fag is a cigarette and not a homosexual. Then the conversation made a tad more sense. ;-)

Soda and Candy said...

mjenks - Pretty much.

mo - Don't say I never do nothin' for ya!

Eric - Hahahahaha, awesome.

Simon - Ah yes, the shuh. It was pretty funny watching an American production of The Importance of Being Ernest when they were pronouncing all the -shire names wring, including Derrrbyshyer.
; )

Mr O - It is deleeshus, I used to eat it more when we first moved here and I was working in a mall.

SkyDad - Well, I do list buffalo-hypnotizing as one of my hobbies...
; )

Gwen - Certainly not! I'm a married lady, you know!

Cora - Hahahahhaaa, I can just imagine your eyes widening and then you running for your mum!!!

the girl with the pink teacup said...

Here's how stupidly Australian I am: I read that sign as Chick "Fillah" (that's 'filler' in the American). Now I feel like a dirty pornographer in comparison to your darling husband's "Feelah" reading of it. I think I just hit that language barrier extra hard. With my head.

Soda and Candy said...

Hahahahha, yes, chick fillers are a bit more disturbing than chick feelers...
; )

Scope said...

The first time I saw the sign, my marvelous, wonderful brain read, "Chick-o-feel-ya".

It has been know as such ever since.

BeckEye said...

What mjenks said.

Char said...

Teachah, leaves those kids alone.
LOL

Cooper Green said...

I've always thought of 'filet' as a noun (and a damn tasty one, if it's barbecued) and 'fillet' as a verb, specifically as a means of deboning fish. And 'filler', of course, describes the content of this comment.

tennysoneehemingway said...

but you can bet it isn't roast chicken!

Soda and Candy said...

Scope - haha, nice.

BeckEye - Word.

Char - Hahaha! Hey Pink Floyd has gotta be good for an Original Draft!

Cooper - Mmmm, BBQ.

Tennyson - Hahaha, no, pretty much anything in a chain-restaurant is fried.

rebecca said...

HA! Love it!

Anonymous said...

What creeps me out is the place is run by 10 year olds.

Soda and Candy said...

Rebecca - Thanks and welcome!

Winter - Oh god, another thing to make me feel old... welcome to my blog!