Thursday, July 9, 2009

Bo-ring. Do another one about funny Aussie words!

I sometimes think about the secret inner life of humans, and bloggers in particular.

We share our most intimate and true thoughts, feelings and experiences with each other, and yet for the most part we don't really know each other at all.

Anyone walking down the street could be a blogger. Not just that but a blogger you've read. The chick who just sold you your venti Americano could be the most hilarious writer you'll ever read. The guy who fixes your computer could be a sweet, romantic soul. That soccer mom who jogs around your block every morning could be sharing the saucy details of her sex life or exploiting her children for humorous purposes. The dude you just bought stamps from might be a skilled photographer or a talented poet.

On the other side of the coin, you will be aware of the physical appearance of some bloggers whereas others prefer to keep their real identity extremely secret. Sometimes you will have been reading a blog for some time, and have formed a mental image of the person based on their writing - only to find out when they post a photo that your assumptions were startlingly inaccurate.

You cannot know what is in someone's soul on first acquaintance. As much as I love judging people*, being involved in blogging reminds me to be less judgmental of my fellow humans, because I have been invited inside people's private thoughts and been surprised at the depth and complexity of so many of you. Not to mention your intelligence and capacity to make me laugh (and cry, and sigh).

What's the point of this story? You guys rock. And don't let the real world tell you any different, because they don't know you like I do.


*It's kind of a hobby.

28 comments:

Scope said...

For the record, I work in I.T., so I have NEVER helped anyone fix their computer. :-)

Eric said...

'for the most part we don't really know each other at all'

But we know these at least are some parts worth knowing!

MJenks said...

You might find this hard to believe, but I'm not one to keep things in in real life, either. So, the real world knows me about as well as you do. Well, maybe better, even.

the girl with the pink teacup said...

*sigh*

Not only are you witty, you're wise, too.

I heart this post so much, Soda. And you know how much I Candy heart you.

the girl with the pink teacup said...

But seriously: another Aussie words post? It's pretty much the only time I feel mildly patriotic.

Mr O said...

I felt I was feeling a similiar way, but you put it into awesome words that I couldn't have come up with on my own. But I'm glad you ended saying how everybody rocks. Because I feel the same, I love this little blogging community.

And I am a new fan of your posts as well, I look forward to more drafts and Aussie words and stuff of that sort (but posts like these are cool too)

Mr. Condescending said...

I thought this was an excellent post. I do too wonder often if someone I see writes a blog, or even just wonder what they would write about if they did.

It seems like most of us have fairly decent jobs and are pretty intelligent. Doesn't the blogosphere seem really really small though?

Simon Butler said...

The thing about visualising people is definitely true – it’s something that applies in other areas than blogging of course: pen-friends, people you’ve only spoken to on the phone and so on.

But you can certainly learn a lot when you make the transition from reading someone’s blog to actual correspondence. People often put on something of a front when they’re blogging: in my experience ones who come across as cutting and sarcastic in their blogs often turn out to be very courteous and considerate, for example. Then there are the ones who appear to be like respectable English gentlemen who turn out to be utter creeps. :)

You never can tell…

Gwen said...

Excellent post, lady. I feel so validated now.

Suck it, real world!

Valerie said...

I sat next to a girl in the airport who seemed to be blogging and leaving comments on blogs while I was doing the same... but I didn't ask her because I was too embarrassed to admit that I was sneaking peeks at her computer screen.

SkylersDad said...

You have probably seen me before, I usually am outside your window at night with night vision goggles on.

Soda and Candy said...

Scope - but that's just because usually the problem is they've accidentally unplugged it, right?

Eric - Yeah, that's true! Good point.

mjenks - Good Lord man, what else is there to know?!
; )

girl - right back atcha, aussie sister!

Mr O - Thank you! Most of the time I'm silly and brief, but every so often I have a rant.

Simon - It's very true, I think the blog ends up demanding you to be a character which is just an aspect of your personality, and only the occasional post lets through your other facets.

Gwen - Hahaha, you tell 'em.

Valerie - Hahaha, I would have been craning my neck so hard to see who she was reading!!!

SkyDad - Uhhhh.... *makes mental note to buy thicker curtains*

mo.stoneskin said...

They guy who just sold me some stamps definitely was not a poet...

BeckEye said...

Did you ever see the blogger character that new girl on SNL does? I saw it one day and I had to cringe because it was so spot-on, especially for me because she just kept making ridiculous puns about stupid things that celebs were doing. I didn't know whether to be offended or flattered that idiots like myself are worthy of getting their own SNL character.

Anonymous said...

You're so damn CEREBRAL, Soda! I don't even know what that means but doesn't it sound brainy? :)

I agree, I have little pictures in my head of how I imagine everyone looks and that's how they are to me. Me, I stay as anonymous as it's possible to be on here - no photos or obvious personal info, due to past problems with a dreaded stalker. It's annoying to me but necessary too.

I consider my blog buddies as valid as real life ones too. They give me endless entertainment and giggles. And an excuse not to work. Thank you.

Soda and Candy said...

mo - Well... maybe a writer of filthy limericks?

BeckEye - No, SNL is on past my bedtime! I'm glad it was one of the spot-on ones instead of the fall-flat ones.

Veggie - *taps side of forehead, winks knowingly* Yes, I'm very intellectual!
Euw stalkers. Not fun.
And yes, I consider y'all real friends too!

Cora said...

Exactly!

And, in fact, it's often easier to confess my real feelings in blog world than in my real life, because bloggers are so openminded. No matter what beans I spill or what shame I unveil, there is always someone here who leaps up saying "me too!"

Blogging makes me realize how similar people from all different walks of life actually are.

Mr. Condescending said...

My comment is not good enough to warrant a response?

:(

Soda and Candy said...

Cora - It's true isn't it, you might read someone who on the surface you have nothing in common with, and yet through blogging you realize you are so much alike!

Mr Condescending - OMG, not at all, I feel so horrible now! It's just because I kept scrolling back and forth and you commented right after another Mister!!!

In answer to your comment: I think that is generally true (about the intelligence level), although I have actually read some pretty woeful blogs (in terms of writing skills). But I guess you're not likely to have a blog if you don't enjoy writing, and I always appreciate people who enjoy intellectual pursuits.

words...words...words... said...

I love this entry. As someone who keeps nearly every identifying characteristic to himself, I'm curious how other people see me, and how accurate my impressions of others are.

katrocket said...

I'm usually too self-absorbed to think about the lives other people, but I think you rock, too.

Soda and Candy said...

Wordsx3 - It's kind of mind-bending isn't it? But then the written word also allows us to present a very refined version of ourselves.

katrocket - Awwww. Thanks so much! (I'm the same ; )

tennysoneehemingway said...

I think (in fact I know) many of us keep things as much under wraps as we can, because it's easier being honest if you don't know who's reading it. Who knows, you could even be my cousin. I think I have one in America, I can't really remember.

JennyMac said...

Great post...and so true. And a friend of mine started a blog..she's a shy little thing too..until she starts writing. Too saucy. Blogging...it brings out the best of us.

Andy - Instafather said...

I often wonder who around me is a blogger, like we're all superheroes who come out at night with capes on to blog.
Actually, should I get a cape? Would that help my blog out? Anything for the cause.

Soda and Candy said...

Tennyson - It's definitely easier to put such things in writing than to speak them out loud to other people.

JennyMac - Haha, she is revealing her true colors!

Andy - No capes! You will get sucked into a jet engine!

Anonymous said...

I'm new to blog (I found you through Joshlos) and I loved this post!

Soda and Candy said...

Aww, thanks Hautepocket!!! I like your name.