Monday, June 8, 2009

Recommended Viewing: In the Mood For Love

We recently watched In the Mood For Love, a Chinese movie by Wong Kar Wai.

I don't want to go into the plot too much, because I seriously want y'all to see it for yourselves. It's a melancholy sort-of love story, just quiet and gentle and sweetly sad. Every single frame is achingly beautiful. I'm not exaggerating. The set design is pitch-perfect (if it's not technically period-perfect, it's emotionally perfect), the color palette is used to great effect, and the way the camera lingers on a wisp of smoke or views a scene from down a hallway and with a slightly blocked view instead of right there with the characters, just infuses the film with a sense of longing, but at the same time it's very peaceful.

And I covet the lead actress's wardrobe to an obsessive degree. Like, I would wear the shit out of every single thing she wore. Ridiculously fantastic. It's set in the 1960s, so she had these incredible modern-style cheongsam type dresses, with elegant high collars, neat little cap sleeves, and glove-like fitting to her curves (and it didn't hurt that she had a smoking hot bod). I was literally gasping with joy and envy every time she had on a new outfit. And then demanding to be taken to China.

These pictures are kind of terrible quality, but you get the idea:







Also, now I'm really craving wonton soup and char siu bao (BBQ pork buns).

11 comments:

Eric said...

Is it subtitled? Because my Mandarin is not nearly as good as my Cantonese.

Kurt said...

I'll check it out for sure.

Soda and Candy said...

Eric - Hahaha, yes, there are subtitles.

Kurt - : )

Cora said...

Never heard of that one before. It sounds lovely.

BeckEye said...

I wasn't sure I could get down with what you were saying until you mentioned the BBQ pork buns.

Shawn said...

Mmmm...sounds too Chinese-y.

Soda and Candy said...

Cora - Oh, I recommend it. But it's not a good date movie as you have to pay attention, especially with all the reading!

BeckEye - *drools at mention of BBQ pork buns* The steamed kind that are white and fluffy are the best, although I would not turn down a plate of the other ones which are browned on top...

Shawn - The themes are pretty much universal, it's not culturally incomprehensible. I promise! Also, there's a pretty girl in tight dresses!

Tash said...

The way you feel about BBQ pork buns after watching that movie is probably the same way I felt about Viggo Mortensen after Lord of the Rings.

Except sluttier.

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna need more reasons to watch this. I'll give it one possibility point for having a good plot, one possibility point because you recommended it, and two possibility points for there being a pretty girl in tight dresses. But it loses two possibility points for being subtitled and not dubbed over with voices that don't match the person at all, and it loses two more possibility points for not having any martial arts scenes.

Well, I'm assuming there aren't any fight scenes, that is. There aren't any fight scenes, are there?

Soda and Candy said...

TishTash - Viggo? Really? I suppose he was the best thing going in that movie. Unless Legolas got a haircut.
; )

joshlos - no fight scenes I'm afraid, and no one jumping backwards up into a tree ; )
perhaps there is a dubbed version available though? and you could watch it while eating Chinese takeout and call it cultural immersion.

words...words...words... said...

Now I want to watch this movie and eat pork buns. Both have been on my list for some time.

BTW your blog likes me. My word ver is "foxyfy" I foxyfy blogs wherever I go.