Friday, June 26, 2009

A Caring and Sharing Week Household Tip

I’m about to share with y’all possibly the weirdest household tip you’ll ever receive.

Having recently mourned the passing of my garlic crusher, I am reduced to chopping garlic by hand. This is all well and good, but a lady doesn’t like to have stinky garlic fingers.

A friend told me about the odor-eating properties of stainless steel. Mama’s not paying fifteen dollars for a hunk of metal when the whole sink is made of the stuff, so after chopping up the garlic one night, I rubbed my fingers on the bottom of our stainless steel sink.

Result: my fingers smelt less like garlic… and more like whatever crap was all over the bottom of the sink.

But I wasn’t giving up, oh no. So I thought about it, and one night as I was rinsing out Husband’s coffee plunger, it came to me.

Hadn’t I learned from Axel Foley that coffee grinds were used by drug cartels to mask the odor of Colombian marching powder? So I rubbed my fingers on the sink, then poured out a handful of wet, used coffee grinds and rubbed my hands with them like they were LaMer or something.

Result: my fingers smelled hardly at all of garlic, but rather a lot like coffee. A quick re-wash with regular liquid hand soap, and my fingers were scented like the daintiest spring flowers, and delightfully soft from the incidental exfoliation!

Share your weirdest household tips in the comments!

10 comments:

Eric said...

If you have unsealed stone like marble or travertine, and some tipsy woman spills wine or drops something greasy on it, you can make a poultice out of cloth, diatomaceous earth (chalk dust), and really strong hydrogen peroxide. It will pull the offending stuff right out of the marble and your temple is aces again.

the girl with the pink teacup said...

Oh! The shame of being reduced to such drudgery as chopping garlic by hand! *Shudder* But I'll definitely take that coffee-grinds tip on board next time I'm smuggling suspect goods through a high-security checkpoint with sniffer dogs.

Weirdest household tip? I'll stay within the onion family vegetables on this one... I put onions in the fridge for a while before I chop them up - less weeping involved for everyone. If that fails, I run the cold tap and put my eyes near (but NOT UNDER) the stream of water. No more tears!

Alex the Girl said...

My mom cleans everything with vinigar. Of course it makes her house smell like pickled eggs, but she claims the clean and shine it gives is worth it. Fortunately, the smell only lasts a little while.

SkylersDad said...

If your dog gets sprayed by a skunk, don't bother with tomatoes. Hydrogen Peroxide stops the Skunk smell fast.

Soda and Candy said...

Eric - I'll be sure and use that tip if I can ever afford marble. Thanks, Moneybags McRockefeller.
; )

Girl - I know, right? Sigh. My tip about onions - Let Husband chop them, he's better at it anyway!

Alex - Hehe, good tip!

SkyDad - And plus, it makes him a lovely platinum blonde!

Morgan the Muse said...

I guess my household tip is to get a house. I don't know. It seems like an important step, anyway.

Twinkie said...

A girl after my own heart! I use garlic on everything!!! And also own a garlic press. A Pampered Chef garlic press. That thing ROCKS and has lasted ages and is still in pristine condition! LIFETIME GUARANTEE BABYYYYY! LOL

Anyways, thanks for the household tips! I'll go ahead and add another one. If you have the stinky hands problem, wash your hands with LEMON JUICE. Yes. Grab a lemon from your frigde, slice it in half, and squeeze the juice into your hands, rub-a-dub-dub... and you will have NO garlic smell. Not just almost none..... NONE! Period!

Oh and the skunk thing, I've always heard that you should bathe your affected animal in tomato juice but luckily I've never had to test that theory!

Soda and Candy said...

Morgan - It's a start, but sometimes it's more hassle than it's worth!

Twinkie - Man please, my dogs smell bad enough without any help from skunks!!!

Char said...

Call me lazy, but I just buy that minced garlic in a jar. I only buy fresh if I am using it whole.

words...words...words... said...

This is great! I'm constantly chopping garlic and I always used lemon juice, which works just okay.

You're kind of a genius for thinking of that coffee grounds thing :)