Wednesday, June 17, 2009

An Original Drafts blog? Whaddya reckon?

That paragon of blog excellence, The Imaginary Reviewer, was kind enough to suggest that my recently created Original Drafts feature should get the Chachi & Joanie treatment - its own spin-off blog.

I'm thinking about it, but I wanted to ask you guys, my reading public, some questions first*:

  1. Would you read such a blog?
  2. Would you be willing to submit song ideas (via email, most likely) in exchange for a pimpin' credit link on the post should your idea be used?
  3. Would it be inexcusably lame if the same paper / handwriting were eventually reused for different songs (hey, there are only so many free paper textures and handwriting fonts out there!)


*Lurkers included!!! Please help a sister out.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why hive off a selling point of your existing blog?

Cora said...

I say do it. I'd be willing to send along some song ideas. In faaaaact, I've strangely got the BeeGees bouncing through my brain this morning, and I'd love to see what you'd do with THAT! (Hee hee hee.)

As for the reused paper and handwriting, no big deal. I doubt anyone would notice. But if it bothers you, just get real people out there to scribble it all down on real paper and just scan it.

Candy's daily Dandy said...

I think Mr. London street may be right, why not make it a MORE regular feature of Soda and Candy.

And absolutely I would submit- I have been thinking about doing a post about carnie rock- from my dream-take it and run with it my child.

Eric said...

You could follow the 'Open Letters Blog' format and post here *and* there, but maybe find some others that have the same level of creativity? I don't know just thinking out loud, I would read either / or.

BeckEye said...

I would totally do it. As long as they don't all have to be rap songs.

Scope said...

1) Regular feature vs. new blog. Just make a side widget to find them easily.

2) Yes, I would send ideas.

3) You can do repeats on the paper and font and ink color all you want, but you may find it fun finding new fonts, too (thinkig Ransom Letter type cutouts.)

Shawn said...

It's an awesome idea, so I say it definitely deserves its own blog. And yeah, re-used paper/handwriting is fine.

Soda and Candy said...

Thanks for your input guys and ladies!!!

Mr London Street - That's a good point.

Cora - Thanks! I think you might like the next Original Draft I have in the pipeline.

Candy - Thanks, you could be right.

Eric - The Open Letters blog is kind of what I was envisioning except not a group...

BeckEye - They absolutely don't it's just that's the genre I'm more familiar with.

Scope - Ah, the detailed input of a technical mind! Thanks!

Shawn - Thanks! As I said to Eric, your Open Letters blog was the one I was thinking of when I was thinking about doing a separate blog.

Alex the Girl said...

I concur (I love saying concur) with Candy. It would make a great regular feature, and then perhaps, along the same route as getting ideas from your regulars, have a monthly or bi monthly feature that contains one submitted from a follower.

words...words...words... said...

It's unquestionably a strong enough idea for a stand-alone blog. But I think MLS has a point. Why not just intersperse it with your other features?

And I don't think the texture/font thing would bother anyone. I like the idea of handwriting them and scanning them. You know, like you told ME to. ;)

Soda and Candy said...

Alex - Thanks for the input! I will definitely need help with song ideas otherwise most of them will be rap songs, and like, Anna Russell, Joshlos and Racquel Valencia will be the only ones that laugh!

WWW - Thank you! But if I do it in my own handwriting you won't be able to read it in order to get the joke!!!

Looks like it's widgets ahoy!!!

the girl with the pink teacup said...

OK, so I'm a little late to the party, but I love the idea - looks like you've made a great decision with it :)

And I don't think anyone cares about repeated handwriting/papery-look stuff. You're so creative anyway that I'm always going to be impressed (I'm easy like that). I'd totally write it out myself and scan it for you if you wanted some variety - I have school-teacher-style handwriting, so am available for hire/bribery to write out others if needed ;)

xo

Soda and Candy said...

Ooh, thanks for the offer girl!