Monday, June 29, 2009

I don't want to hear it.

As everyone knows, famous people have been dropping like flies this past week.

Celebrity is an odd thing; we feel like we know these people in some way, even though in reality we are complete strangers. We note their deaths, we may even feel some form of grief, or at least have some kind of emotional reaction to the news of their passing.

I'm not gonna lie, I laughed at pretty much all the sick, sick too-soon jokes floating around the blogosphere. I laughed at the title "Celebrity Death Week". I jokingly suggested the possible next celebrity to go. I laughed at the idea of Billy Mays Oxy-Cleaning the robes of the heavenly host.

Then today on a "news" channel, I heard something I fervently wish I could un-hear.

I heard the shaky, tearful, terrified voice of Billy's wife on the 911 call when she found him dead. No one deserves to have such an utterly devastating, utterly personal moment broadcast for everyone to hear*. My heart absolutely breaks for that woman.

Imagine finding the person you love most in the world still and cold. Try to imagine how you would feel in that moment.

Then imagine knowing that any and every stranger you pass in the street could have potentially heard that moment unfolding, heard your life collapsing, heard your heart breaking.

Why would anyone want to hear that? Who would think that was a thing that needed to be broadcast?

There is something seriously wrong with humanity.


*and that's why I'm not linking to anything to do with it.

21 comments:

Eric said...

Good points, the same could be said about any personal moment that a celebrity is trying to have, but interrupted by photographers and reporters. It's all a bit sick.

Alex the Girl said...

I so agree with you on this. It brings me back to the 1980's when the space shuttle blew up...instantly the cameras zoomed in on the parents of the school teacher. Grief sells, apparently. Media stoops to no end.

SkylersDad said...

That is pure crap that they feel the need to play 911 tapes over the air, especially the one you just heard.

tennysoneehemingway said...

yeah I agree. somethings just should be kept private. on another note: who's billy mays?

Soda and Candy said...

Eric - Absolutely true. I'm nosy, but not that nosy.

Alex - Ugh, that sounds horrible.


SkyDad - You're so right. I don't need to hear any 911 tapes, celebrity or not.

Tennyson - Definitely. He's an infomercial presenter. It's not like it serves the national interest to know anything about his private life or his death.

Scope said...

There is not such thing as "Privacy" anymore. And too few people have mourned it's passing.

Mr O said...

I know this is a serious topic, and I whole heartedly agree. However, I couldn't help but think of this. This is not to make fun of his wife, not at all, but just kind of society and maybe to give you a little laugh.

It has nothing to do with the past week (I think this show was from 2000)

so if you want to check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYx94ZW3ato

words...words...words... said...

I completely agree, which is why I hate paparazzi. But some people seem to have a venal desire to see celebrities harassed and bothered to make up for the blessings they've had. We recognize the basic unfairness at play, but are unable to curb our natural inclinations to seek out the stuff. What can you say, we're contradictions.

BeckEye said...

That's horrible. I don't understand how that isn't illegal.

Soda and Candy said...

Scope - Very true.

Mr O - Welcome! I'll try to check it out (my computer is a bit crap at videos).

WWW - I have to admit I'm still interested in the details of other people's lives, but I think for me at least, bloggers who choose to share have replaced celebrities who are in a way forced to share.

BeckEye - I wonder the exact same thing, aren't they covered by privacy laws or something? I mean how could 911 calls be considered public domain?

Anonymous said...

I've said this for YEARS since the River Phoenix thing - how unfeeling can the press be to release an actual 911 call of someone terrified out of their mind for someone they love? It's abominable. I never listen to those calls when they publish them.

mo.stoneskin said...

I have no idea why the broadcast that or how they got away with it. Sick.

Shawn said...

Yeah, I really don't see why that needed to be aired. It's not as if Mays or his death is surrounded in as much mystery as Jackson's.

Soda and Candy said...

Veggie - This one was on a TV in a place I had to be, so I couldn't turn it off.

mo - it is sick, it turns my stomach.

shawn - Right? There's nothing to be gained by it.

Candy's daily Dandy said...

Soda, I am proud to call you my blogger friend.

Amen to that.

Sam_I_am said...

Everyone is desperate to know what's going on with the families of these celebrities... they [the families] are mourning, just like anyone else who lost their husband, wife, mother, father, sister, brother, son, daughter would be doing right now.

miss. chief said...

awful. all the time, when the news comes on and they show celebrities i think "why the hell do i need to know this? is this NEWS?"
i think you made a very important point - and yeah, how the hell did they even get ahold of a 911 phone call? It's just so wrong!

rachaelgking said...

I had no idea... that is so completely and totally inappropriate.

I can only hope that the same crazies who want to hear something like that also show his widow an outpouring of support and love that might begin to make up for that.

Soda and Candy said...

Candy - Aw, thanks!

Sam - Yeah, it's like, duh, they're devastated. Do we really need to be told that or given proof?

miss.chief - Exactly. It's just not news.

LiLu - I wish.

Cora said...

It's easy to forget their are people, huh? They become like characters, almost fictional.

Soda and Candy said...

Cora - Yes! I think that's why it was so shocking, because I have been joking about these people, and then it was like "damn."