Thursday, June 4, 2009

To Boldly Go...

Captain Kirk: We don't know what terrible dangers may lurk down on this strange new planet. We'll need to assemble an away team. Let's see... of course I will go, my second in command Spock, Chief Medical Officer McCoy, Lieutenant Sulu... and you there, in the red shirt, what's your name?

Ensign: Jenkins, sir.

Captain Kirk: All right, Ensign Jenkins, you're coming with us. You too, Ensign Kowalski.

Ensigns: Aw, crap.


As soon as you saw some poor schmo in a red shirt (who you'd never seen before) in the away team, you knew who was going to get crushed by styrofoam rocks or atomized by unconvincingly plastic lizard-people. My mum and I coined the name Ensign Expendable for these unfortunate fellows. I wonder if Starfleet Academy had a course on Not Getting Picked For the Away Team, aka Survival 101.

13 comments:

Kurt said...

In the new Star Trek movie they tip their hat to this convention by killing a red shirt on the away team. Pretty much put my love for the film over the top.

Eric said...

So true, lol...

BeckEye said...

It's kind of interesting how even people who don't watch Star Trek know what "red shirts" are. Or, at least they should.

By the way, my dad enjoyed your comment about brisket being made out of lips and assholes. Even though he's 80, I guess he's never heard that one before.

SkylersDad said...

Every red Sirt had the same one line of dialog also:
"Captain! Over here! Aaaaargggg!!"

Anonymous said...

Similarly whenever anyone in a war film shows the leading man a battered photo of their sweetheart back home and talks fondly of her you just know he's toast.

mo.stoneskin said...

Star Trek? What's that?

The Imaginary Reviewer said...

It's kind of like having sex in a horror film. Or appearing in one of those "Epic Movie" or "Disaster Movie" films.

No, wait, that last one was wrong; it's the actor's career that dies, not the character.

Tash said...

Ensign Expendable sounds much better than chum.

Cora said...

Reminds me of Galaxy Quest! Guy screaming for his mommy in the ship because he knows he's the one who will get killed because no-one knows his name! *snicker*

words...words...words... said...

That was a great bit in the new Star Trek film. I also liked how Kirk got it on with a green chick.

Soda and Candy said...

Kurt - It's a tradition!

Eric - : )

BeckEye - Haha, how fitting, I'm pretty sure I learned that saying from MY dad (I think he was talking about hot dogs though)

Skyler's Dad - Heh, or "What's tha-aaaaargh!"

Mr LS - Yes!

Mo - I... just don't know if we can be friends any more...

TIR - Well said, sir.

TishTash - Alliteration makes everything sound better.

Cora - Galaxy Quest rocks. I really liked that movie even though Tim Allen was in it!

WWW - Thanks, Mr Ruin the Movie For Me. : P

Shawn said...

See also: any cop who's just one day away from retirement.

Morgan the Muse said...

yeah, my best friend and I were discussing that the other day. Another person: The expecting parent.